Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so in years past, I've used Nissan OEM NS-2 CVT fluid in my 2010 Maxima. However I just bought a 2008 Altima and I want to change the fluid, but the price of that OEM stuff has gone up quite a bit. I am seeing in many youtube tutorials and other places where people are using other fluids that are claiming NS3 and to be better even than the OEM stuff. What are your thoughts on using non-OEM CVT fluids? Or am I dealing with the devil here, taking my chances with the CVT gremlins that are waiting behind the curtains? FYI I can tell that the fluid currently in the car is the OEM stuff because it is that same green color. At least I'm assuming it is.

Castrol Transmax ATF Black CVT fluid in particular is touted as one of the best, and is nice and cheap. The reviews on this stuff make this it seem amazing. But I take amazon reviews with a grain of salt. Curious to hear all your thoughts.

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06811...-fluids-pcr-20 https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06811...-fluids-pcr-20

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey, so in years past, I've used Nissan OEM NS-2 CVT fluid in my 2010 Maxima. However I just bought a 2008 Altima and I want to change the fluid, but the price of that OEM stuff has gone up quite a bit. I am seeing in many youtube tutorials and other places where people are using other fluids that are claiming NS3 and to be better even than the OEM stuff. What are your thoughts on using non-OEM CVT fluids? Or am I dealing with the devil here, taking my chances with the CVT gremlins that are waiting behind the curtains? FYI I can tell that the fluid currently in the car is the OEM stuff because it is that same green color. At least I'm assuming it is.

Castrol Transmax ATF Black CVT fluid in particular is touted as one of the best, and is nice and cheap. The reviews on this stuff make this it seem amazing. But I take amazon reviews with a grain of salt. Curious to hear all your thoughts.

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06811...-fluids-pcr-20 https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-06811...-fluids-pcr-20
I have a 2011 SR 3.5 with 127,000 miles and I just flushed the CVT with castrol transmax CVT. I also threw in 10oz of lubegard CVT recharge & protect. So far so good. I did a flush with NS-2 when I had 87,000 mile on it. I only have a handful of miles with the Castrol, but like I said so far so good. I’ll be installing a Hayden trans cooler in the hope of prolonging the life of the CVT.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a 2011 SR 3.5 with 127,000 miles and I just flushed the CVT with castrol transmax CVT. I also threw in 10oz of lubegard CVT recharge & protect. So far so good. I did a flush with NS-2 when I had 87,000 mile on it. I only have a handful of miles with the Castrol, but like I said so far so good. I’ll be installing a Hayden trans cooler in the hope of prolonging the life of the CVT.
Thanks! I did end up putting the Castrol Transmax CVT in it. Went good, but I over filled it, had a little leak a couple days later. Removed some today, trying to get the level exactly right and hoping I didn't screw it up royally. Weird thing is, right now, it's showing lower on the dipstick when the engine is running than when it's off. Here's a pic when the engine is off(engine was a bit warm, but not hot) :

And checking with the engine running:

·
Registered
2 Posts
That makes sense, when it’s running the fluid isn’t at rest so a good amount is no longer in the pan and instead throughout the tranny. Make sure the vehicle is warmed up (122° to 176°F) and running when you check the fluid, driving it around for about 10 minutes will do it. just take your time when you check and add more fluid. BTW what engine do you have? When I flushed my tranny I also swapped out the external filter (Only on the 3.5, but your Maxima most likely has one) it’s accessed thru the driver side wheel well. I didn’t change out the filter on my 1st flush, but decided to do it this time around. Here it is:

7B592AB4-60A7-424E-9780-0FB3C4F95B04.jpeg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My altima has the 2.5. Sadly I may have blown a seal or something. There is a small little puddle of fluid under it again this morning. 3 or 4 droplets forming in the passenger side. Right under where the oil filter is, I think it's on the engine cradle arm or something? I gotta track that down. Man I'm an idiot if I caused this leak. That being said, there was dark oil residue on that area when I got it, but being right under the oil filter, I figured it was just oil from oil changes. It wasn't actively dripping oil. Right now it's not actively dripping, but it's dripped a decent amount and I can see if I watched it would probably drop a drop every 10 minutes or so.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts