Nissan Altima Forum banner

CVT transmission fluid change using fluid extractor through the dipstick tube.

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  seglazener 
#1 ·
I believe this will work, but I can't find anyone who has done it with an Altima. I want to change the fluid on my 2008 Altima 2.5L CVT transmission, but it does not have the drain in the pan. To avoid the mess, I want to know if anyone uses a fluid extractor through the dipstick tube to remove the old fluid. I intend on removing it and dropping the pan to replace the filter as well as the passenger side drive axle due to a ruptured boot, but I want to avoid the mess of having all the fluid in the pan when I drop it. Anyone tried this? Thanks.

#7 ·
Yes, I have to use a hand pump I got at H.F. since I don't have a drain plug in the CVT pan, and don't want to bother dropping the pan since it won't come straight down once the bolts are all undone. I did have to add about 2' of smaller dia. tubing at the end of the inlet hose of the pump to fit into the dipstick hole, but I left it in the sun for a few min to straighten it out, and I just push it in until I feel resistance from the tube.

This probably won't get all of the crud from the corners of the pan so I will probably drop it and clean it good in the next oil change or two; but when I got the car it had 198l mi and from the maintenance records, it never showed the CVT fluid as having been changed. I've shabged it every 60k mi since, and kept my fingers crossed. So far no signs of failure and I'm at 218k mi (2010 Altima, 2.5L).

I accidentally made a mess my first try at this by shoving the other end of the pump hose into a gallon plastic bottle but failed to secure the hose in the bottle. I was furiously pumping away and my girlfriend said something like, "Uhm, did you mean to pump the oil onto the driveway....?" and when i turned and looked about a quart of dirty CVT fluid was all over the ground because I didn't use tape or a rag to secure the hose into the drain bottle. Doh!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.