Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! New member here! I've been looking up detailing videos lately for polishing and waxing to get that NEW wet look.

I have a "Super Black" 2014 Altima S that I bought used earlier this month. After I bought it I started noticing a few minor scratches on it and even a few swirl marks here and there on the car. The black makes this stand out when up close and I'm looking to buff it out but have zero experience with a buffer.

Has anyone detailed their Altima and or can recommend some products to get me started? I've seen tons of Chemical Guys videos and a few other channels on Youtube but I still have no clue where to start.

Few infos to get started

-Color is Super Black
-Own Meguair's DA Power Polisher (NEW)
-Own Meguair's G55032 Complete Car Care Kit
-Scratches are no bigger than a light key scuff
-Swirls likely will be taken out after polishing

I came here first to see some first hand examples of some 2013+ Altimas that maybe have some 50/50 shots with instructions on how you achieved your shine.

Thanks!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Unless you have scratches all over the car, you should probably try to remove the scratches and swirls with a clay bar by hand. One can get into lots of trouble using a power buffer. If you are dedicated to doing the power buffing, be careful around high spots on the body like fender edges. A good power buffer can remove your clear coat or your paint as well if you aren't careful. My 2013 is also Super Black, so I definitely know what you are talking about. Even brushing off something on the trunk lid without washing the car first left scratches that are visible on the black car. Also, the area by the gas door where the rubber coated California vapor recovery pump handle sits when it's being filled, gets easily scuffed.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
I have super black as well.
I wash car. Clay bar car and then Wax car and it seems to do the job well. I use only microfiber towels and I usually just use mequires or mothers products. Always wanted to try chemical guys or pinnacle. Hear they have great products for black cars. I just can't justify spending that kind of money for my daily driver.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Look up the AutoGeek.com forum. Lots and LOTS of information over there on the best stuff to use for detailing black cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A power buffer isn't a bad investment but you have to learn to use it correctly. There are several videos on YouTube you can learn from. The main thing is to let the buffer do the work and not apply pressure as you go along.

Buffing shouldn't be an every wash day task. Once or twice a year is enough.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
A power buffer isn't a bad investment but you have to learn to use it correctly. There are several videos on YouTube you can learn from. The main thing is to let the buffer do the work and not apply pressure as you go along.

Buffing shouldn't be an every wash day task. Once or twice a year is enough.
This is great advice. The only thing I'd caution you on is OVER buffing, like @blackmm said. When you buff, you remove clear coat. You only have so much of that from the factory. If you're aiming to protect the finish for the life of your car, you'll want to find someone locally who does ceramic clear coats like Opti-Coat or C-Quartz Finest. That will put some added depth to the clear coat and give you something to buff before getting down to the factory clear coat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the past I have used a product called Klasse. You can get it from autogeek website. They have a kit for $50. The all in one will strip off any old wax or dirt. Do this in combination with a clay bar. Wash car with quality wash soap, clay bar, then all in one cleaner. Then after the all in one use the sealer. One or two coats. Spread it lightly a little goes a long way. The sealer is an acrylic sealer not a wax. Once sealed just wash with a good car wash. Don't go thru the drive-thru type. Sometimes I even just go to the self serve spray washes and just spray it with water. I do this mostly in the winter when it's too cold for a traditional hand wash. The soaps at the drive thru and self serve washes are garbage. If you seal it at least once a year, twice preferably, maybe spring and before winter and then wash with quality wash soap it will look like you just waxed it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts