Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 Altima 2.5 SL - I drove it to lunch today, and it showed no problems starting, driving, or when turning off. When I returned after lunch, maybe an hour and a half later, it wouldn't start. I figured it was a simple battery problem though I had left no lights on, so I was shocked to think the batter would have died. I had someone jump the car. It took a few minutes after connecting the battery, but it started up.

I drove 25 minutes, en route to an Advance Auto Parts to have the battery tested. When I turned off the main road on to a secondary road, I was putting along at 15-20mph and the car cut off. No lights, no guages, no power steering - nada. I pulled into the nearest parking lot, not even 1/2 mile from the AAP. It again wouldn't turn on by itself. Found some nice guys to help me move it out of traffic's way and then they helped me jump it again. It started right back up. I drove the last few hundred yards to the AAP.

The guy at AAP took the battery out so he could take it inside and test it. It was holding a perfectly full charge, showing no signs of any problem. That seems to rule out my guess (and hope) of simply needing a new battery - or maybe a new alternator. To test for a possible fuel pump error, we put the battery back in and were going to see if we could hear the pump turning on, and wouldn't you know it, the car started up without a problem. I let it run in the parking lot for 10 minutes before driving around the parking lot to see if I could replicate it shutting off. With no problem, I drove it home.

I did go back out and test it almost 3 hours later just to see if it would start up. And of course, it started up without any problem.

If I had to guess, I would say that taking the battery out reset whatever may have been causing the problem. But I'd sure love to know what that is prior to it happening again. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hard to say without looking at it and duplicate it but I would have the alternator checked. Not sure if you did that or just had the battery checked.

Have you seen the dealer yet? I would have them check for codes too.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts