Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first time I got the oil changed (I've owned this car 4mos) the oil showed a quart low on the dipstick I got it changed checked it again they had filled it perfectly, I've been checking it every couple weeks and it showed no sign of going down I check it 2 days ago it's a quart low, I check it today it's lower. I get under the car there's no oil to be seen nothing on the top of the engine no puddles when I come out in the morning or after running it for a while. I've had my fiancee watch the car when I start it no smoke she's constantly driving behind me and never sees any smoke while i'm driving. The car doesn't run roughly it never hesitates to start the oil light has never gone on etc, is this something that happens with the altimas? Is there something else I should be looking into?

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
You'll need to do a little reading. There is a long standing issue with the converter material breaking up and making its way back into the engine eventually causing damage to the piston rings. You'll have to pull your converter and see if there is any missing material. Google qr25de converter issue.

Second, there is also a standing issue regarding the butterfly valve screws. The screws from the butterfly valve at the bottom of the intake manifold can come loose and cause damage to the engine. Google qr25de butterfly valve issue for that one.

Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would happen to the oil if it were either of these? Wouldn't it lead to burning with some pretty serious smoke? This is also taking like 2500 miles to show that its low at all but like clockwork it goes from full to a quart low at 2500 miles

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked into the precat problem and the recall doesn't apply to the 05 from what I can find, today I went out and put a box under the car while it ran for like 20 minutes 15 minutes in not one drop of oil and the box so I jumped in and stomped on the gas a few times and lo and behold there is smoke coming out the tail pipe, it might not be visible when I'm at 2k rpm but it sure it when i'm at 4-5k so I'm really hoping it's something simple like a head gasket, the car has slightly more than 80,000 miles so it would be about time to replace it i'm sure.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Head gasket is far from simple....What color is the smoke?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's white smoke but the head gasket is a far simpler fix than the precat bad piston rings or a new engine hence the relief if that's what it is

·
Registered
113 Posts
When you put it that way, yeah head gasket is simpler....Are you losing coolant too?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I got the car the coolant was low however it never overheated, ran hot, ran rough, etc.... I added more coolant and it has not lost any since I did that more than a month ago.

·
Registered
113 Posts
After you shut the car off, pull the oil cap, does it look "milky" on inside of the cap? I don't think it will be if you're not loosing coolant....

·
Registered
113 Posts
Odd. I've seen first hand the failed precat and blown headgasket in a friends car recently, I really don't know what to say....unless I'm missing something....

·
Registered
113 Posts
I believe that it happens, I really think it's just the head gasket in mine though and not the precat
It's just weird that it's only oil, no coolant, and happens like clockwork at 25000 miles? If it were something like a headgasket or precat, it would be steady throughout...or so you would think...best of luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts