Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The #1 pin wire that is mentioned in the article is the pink wire that's shown in the photo.
I cut the pink wire today, no more steering lock, or worrying about when it would fail and cost $1k to replace. Make sure car is switched on so the steering is unlocked when you cut the wire.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see on your other thread it was the IPDM.
Yes, turned out to be the IPDM. There was a crack in the relay housing that let in some water. I had Nissan do the diagnostic and they came up with the IPDM and the steering lock, I guess because the KEY light was on. I wasn't convinced that the lock needed to be replaced because it was still locking/unlocking so to be safe, I turned the ignition on to unlock it one last time and cut the pink wire. I saw lots of threads on the locks going out so this sounded like the best way to avoid it. I can't believe the lock costs $1k!

Nissan wanted $1700 to replace the IPDM and the lock, plus $300 for an engine ground strap, so I justed bought the IPDM and took the 10 minutes to install myself. I'll get to the ground strap tomorrow.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread but I have been using it as a guide and I've run into an issue. I have a 2009 Altima, it was running fine until i parked outside Starbucks to grab breakfast and the thing wouldn't start. I found this thread and decided that most likely it was a steering lock issue since these units had so many issues.

I opened the dash and I could here it clicking internally inside the steering lock but of course there was nothing happening. It was in the locked position so I had to get it towed to my local mechanic. After bringing it to him he didn't know what to do so I borrowed a few tools and removed the steering lock and broke into the metal casing it sits in. I removed the motor and positioned the steering lock in an unlock position.

Car still wouldn't start. The NO KEY sense illuminated in the dash. I thought for sure that I had some how unregistered the key, but couldn't see how that would be possible.

I had him put the scanner on the car and it had an error code in the body module for a steering chain code?? I will get the exact code at a later date.

After clearing the code the car would start again.

After driving the vehicle and parking it it will fall back into the mode of NOT SENSING A KEY.

My question is, everyone seems to have been able to disable the steering lock and not have an issue. Am i required to cut this PINK wire to make it work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would say that if you got the steering into the unlocked position, then cut the pink wire, it would bypass the problem you are having.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is this off the intelligent key port or from the steering lock mechanism?

Hello,
I found a thread form a 370Z forum where someone figured out how to disable the steering lock feature:

http://www.the370z.com/diy-section-do-yourself/53437-steering-lock-cut-one-wire-switch-optional.html

I was wondering if anyone has tried this on a '07 Altima?
The #1 pin wire that is mentioned in the article is the pink wire that's shown in the photo.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
From the Z link :

HOW: Be sure the steering lock is NOT locked.
Lie on your back looking at the lock. Press its release and remove the connector. Look deep inside the connection for the numbers. Number one pin or hole should connect to a Brown wire which is next to a yellow and has a black below it.
Cut the brown (1/2"-5/8" from its connector 'cos you may want to solder it later).

& At your own risk ! ...and

Bless our legislators.

Fritz

·
Registered
10 Posts
Are you referencing a canadian based vehicle?

From the Z link :

HOW: Be sure the steering lock is NOT locked.
Lie on your back looking at the lock. Press its release and remove the connector. Look deep inside the connection for the numbers. Number one pin or hole should connect to a Brown wire which is next to a yellow and has a black below it.
Cut the brown (1/2"-5/8" from its connector 'cos you may want to solder it later).

& At your own risk ! ...and

Bless our legislators.

Fritz

·
Registered
10 Posts
No i'm not and nothing worked except getting a replacement key lock mechanism and reprogramming. I was able to do myself. This idea about cutting the wire I believe is bogus.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What I did is to disarm the steering lock box...and leave just the electronic circuit there..
and put something to press the two activation switches . That worked for a few months but now is doing the same.
we have to try a lot of times till it ignite.

Is there a way just to put direct the ignition wire in a bridge mode or something?
I try to find the colors and codes for the connector but Im not really sure of that.

I'll appreciate any comment

thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is a longshot but did you ever find out what type of problem you had. hopefully you get this message its been many years since this post was made. the reason I am asking is that I am having the same problem. thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts