Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm no idiot (most of the time :rolleyes:) but for the life of me I cannot figure out what that pod bay door thing is on the front bumper!

I know on most Japanese and European cars this is where the tow hook threads into - BUT, I looked in mine, felt around with my finger, everything I could think of and it seems to just be an empty hole through the bumper support. Does this serve any purpose at all? I know my car diddnt come with a tow hook, and all the replacement front ends I have seen have no provision for this. Any ideas? I wanted to use a Stillen license plate relocator from the 350Z but I doubt that will work now...:confused:

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
It's the location for the tow hook. It is something that is not installed from the factory. You can ordered it from the dealer and install it. I'm not sure why they don't install the darn thing on every car.

*edit* Did you buy the car used? I've read that some vehicles came with the tow hook in the trunk with the spare tire. You can search ebay or similar sites for Nissan tow hooks.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I bet you a fat man that if you open your truck and look where the car jack is, you will find the hook that goes in it. Thats where I found mine :D

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
"Sure! We will make a tow hook slot for the car but your SOL in finding a hook from us! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL", Nissan Stealership (as they laugh all the way to the bank)

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
"Sure! We will make a tow hook slot for the car but your SOL in finding a hook from us! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL", Nissan Stealership (as they laugh all the way to the bank)
lol

just buy a big a$$ red or gold one and get a vinyl sticker of an arrow so everyone knows where your tow hook is:)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nothing near the jack for me. Oh well, i intend on fabbing up a new license holder there anyway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
all you need is a bolt with a fisheye end. that screws in there. volvos have the same thing, itll save your bumper if you need to get your ass towed for not caring for your car the right way. that or a fender bender, but if the fender bender is that bad that the car wont move for ----, you might as well torch the car and put it through insurance. these cars are pretty sturdy. ive yet to see a small fender bender that would require a tow.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
all you need is a bolt with a fisheye end. that screws in there. volvos have the same thing, itll save your bumper if you need to get your ass towed for not caring for your car the right way. that or a fender bender, but if the fender bender is that bad that the car wont move for ----, you might as well torch the car and put it through insurance. these cars are pretty sturdy. ive yet to see a small fender bender that would require a tow.
Thats what I thought too - but I looked and there is nothing to thread into behind that plastic door. Literally it is a hole about the size of a half dollar and thats it. I even got a flashlight out to see, making myself look like an idiot in my job's parking lot, and it's just a hole.

See, this is what I had in mind:

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I got out there last night and looked real close with a flashlight - what I see is two holes in the foam backing, behind that one hole through the front of the bumper support and one behind it, then about 6-12" in a vertical slot that is about 3"x1/2". Nothing to thread a hook into or anything. gameguru1360, what exactly did the towtruck guy use? I think we have the same year and everything... This is getting even more confusing.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone? Does anybody know what the tow hook area is supposed to look like? Does it have threads or is it just an open hole. I am really wanting to get my project off the ground, but if I don't have to fab up something to thread into I won't. Thanks for the help - once I get done I will post up the writeup on it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone? Does anybody know what the tow hook area is supposed to look like? Does it have threads or is it just an open hole. I am really wanting to get my project off the ground, but if I don't have to fab up something to thread into I won't. Thanks for the help - once I get done I will post up the writeup on it.
On my 2008 coupe this is what is behind the cover...

The threads start about 2 inches in

Here is the hook in the trunk that screws into the hole...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Heres what's behind the cover on a 2010 Sedan ... nothing..... and of course no tow hook in the trunk...LOL Guess it's a good thing I always carry towing insurance..

Like what you did with your signature picture Tadvette.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Heres what's behind the cover on a 2010 Sedan ... nothing..... and of course no tow hook in the trunk...
Thats almost exactly what mine looks like, except that the hole goes all the way through the bumper support - yours looks like it's walled off. Maybe Nissan decided to start phasing this out, buy why only on the sedans? It appears that the coupes have the tow hook provision but we don't? Well, wasnt going to use it for a tow hook anyway... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thats almost exactly what mine looks like, except that the hole goes all the way through the bumper support - yours looks like it's walled off. Maybe Nissan decided to start phasing this out, buy why only on the sedans? It appears that the coupes have the tow hook provision but we don't? Well, wasnt going to use it for a tow hook anyway... :rolleyes:
i have an Altima coupe, i also don't have a tow hook thread :(

·
Registered
399 Posts
Weird, but there was one MY on the sedan ('14 I think) and several MY's on the coupe where the threaded hole is just MIA. No reason given, it just isn't there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts