Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I have a 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5LS. Today I drove it to work and the engine just started to shake after I accelerated and even once I braked and put it in park. I can hardly go in reverse. I could not drive home because I could hardly go on high speeds in the highway. The engine service soon light was on. I don’t know what the problem is...

·
Administrator
170 Posts
Hi guys, I have a 2009 Nissan Altima 2.5LS. Today I drove it to work and the engine just started to shake after I accelerated and even once I braked and put it in park. I can hardly go in reverse. I could not drive home because I could hardly go on high speeds in the highway. The engine service soon light was on. I don’t know what the problem is...
One of the first things to do is perform an ECU code readout with a portable scan tool to see if any fault codes are set. The tool can be purchased at most auto parts stores or most auto parts stores will do a code readout free of charge. Post the actual codes here on the forum so that we may be able to help you further. The codes are in the form of Pxxxx where xxxx is a numeric. If there is one or more fault codes set, they can help point to the malfunction.

If the code shows something like a P0300 or P0301-P0304 that means you're getting misfires, then here are some things that could cause it:
  • There may be a major intake system vacuum leak. To check the intake system for a vacuum leak, attach a vacuum gauge to a full vacuum source. With the engine fully warmed up, the reading at idle should be 18 - 20 InHg. At 3,000 RPM, it should be around 21 InHg. If readings are under 18 InHg, check the intake manifold nuts to make sure they are tight. The gasket may have failed; spray a water mist at the gasket to see if the gauge reading changes. Also check the intake plenum bellows at the throttle valve and at the MAF for cracks or loose clamps.
  • Is the misfire occurring on any particular cylinder? What brand of spark plugs are you using? You should be using OEM NGK plugs; other brands such as Champion or Bosch many times cause driveability problems in Nissan engines.
  • The camshaft position sensor or the crankshaft position sensor may be marginal.
  • Incorrect fuel pressure. Tee-in a temporary fuel pressure gauge between the fuel feed hose and the fuel rail. The readings at idle should be 51 psi.
  • Dirty fuel injector(s). Run some good injection cleaner, like BG products 44K, through the system; give the cleaner about a week or two to do it's job.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts