Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '05 2.5SL with a 2nd to 3rd slip/flare up. Doesn't want to grab overdrive well either. Did a pan drop with Super Tech Dex III fluid change. Trans felt worse after fluid change. Added Lucas Transmission fix, did literally nothing to help the slip. Surprising, actually. Read about the resistor mod, found flare was less apparent or aggressive without the drop resistor. Also found broken ground wire from passenger side of transmission closer to wheel to engine bay, fixed that.

I feel like whatever fluid I removed, was working better than before the change, even with drop resistor plugged in. Flare was worse, but trans worked better overall.

Is it possible that the transmission doesn't like the Super Tech? Could the genuine Matic-D be a better choice? Don't really want to spend $20 a quart. Is the Super Tech Dex III junk? Or is it just the age old story that changing the fluid made the slip worse because of removing the junk that was actually helping the trans shift. In that case, wouldn't the Lucas help? Does anyone have a recommendation for a "slip-fix" additive that could help? Recommendation on a better trans fluid?

What are everyone's thoughts? I understand that trans is simply just worn out, I'm not looking for a permanent fix, just something to help it shift better going around the block a few more times.. Car has 175k, not sure how much is left in her anyways.

Thanks.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
265 Posts
Using Dexron III has been known to cause valve sticking in the valve body assembly. You might want to try servicing the transmission using a fluid that is recommended for use in Dexron II applications, like Valvoline Maxlife ATF or Castrol Multi-import ATF, which are both synthetic. Generic Dexron III/Mercon, which is essentially what Nissan Type "D" ATF is, has a thicker viscosity than the original Dexron and Dexron II.

If the ATF is dark, burnt smelling, and you see little flakes or speck in it, DO NOT FLUSH IT. The fluid and transmission possibly has hard part damage, but the transmission just has not figured out it should die yet. What's your ATF fluid look like? Here's a blotter test. Place a couple of drops of the ATF on a paper towel and wait about 30-seconds or so. If the fluid has spread out and is red or very light brown in color, the fluid is good – No action is needed. If the fluid does not spread out and is very dark brown in color, the fluid is oxidized; if it has a burnt smell to it, then there may be internal damage.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts