Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new member here and needing some help. My wife's 2012 SR sedan for the past year has had a couple of issues that I'm wanting to address finally. About 2 years ago we had the gas tank replaced and Nissan pretty much took care off the bill which was nice. It got to the point where I couldn't put gas in the tank and after a few hundred miles or do the check engine light would come on. Techs said it was something in the tank so they replaced it.

We'll ever since that, we've had no issues putting gas in the car and no lights in dash which of course is great. But since this was all done 2 things keep occurring. First is when filling the tank, there's a lot of gurgling sounds coming from the filler opening...pretty bad at times but again it takes the fuel. But it never did this before. The second issue is the strong smell of gas after filling up. Sometimes it's a moderate smell and sometimes it's very strong.

I've looked various times and never see a trace of gas on the garage floor. Also we don't seem to notice the smell inside the car. I've tried numerous different gas stations around the area but that doesn't seem to change anything. Dealership has performed 2 evap test and stated everything is fine and they're not sure what's going on. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

·
Registered
10 Posts
It sounds like the evap canister is either clogged with debris or the valve is stuck closed. This would be unusual because the valve normally gets stuck in the open position. As the tank is filling with liquid gas, the air in the tank has to go somewhere. It is supposed to escape out the evap canister vent valve. The charcoal in the canister absorbs the gasoline fumes. From your description, it looks like the air in the tank is coming back out the filler tube, thus the gas smell. This would also explain the gurgling sound. That would be the air in the tank being pushed up the filler tube against the downward flow of the gasoline because it has nowhere else to go. With the engine off, the valve should be open. Nissan has an extended evap warranty program for 2003 - 2017 Nissan models for 15 years or 150,000 miles for evap problems that include the canister and tube clogging. This might apply to your car. Check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was having this same problem with my 2007 Altima and was looking for direction. Wife noticed gas on the ground after filling up. Garage smelled like gas but there were no noticeable leaks. I drove it around for a few miles, re-parked it in the garage, gas smell seemed gone at first. Came back into the garage and though milder, still there. No check engine light.
Turned out, the fuel filler hose, the one that connects directly to the fuel tank has fine cracks right where it clamps to the tank. Not enough to cause a code, but enough to leak at fill up, and to vent into the garage. 14 year old car, rubber gets old and cracks. Don't think I saw this one on the maintenance chart :cool:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts