Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a 2005 Nissan Altima Hazard Switch, there are 4 wires, red/blue, Ground, 12V, and a red/orange Wire. Does anyone know what these wires are for?
When I use a volt meter and send power to the green wire the hazards flash but when I give power to the other red wires nothing happens.

Hand Motor vehicle White Automotive lighting Light

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Red/Blue is 12V for the backlighting, Red/Yellow provides ground through the Dimmer Control. Black is hard ground. Green/Red is a pulled-up signal wire to the BCM, grounding it should turn the Hazards on. The switch connects Green/Red to Black internally. I hope you didn't blow anything up by applying 12V to it.

·
Administrator
333 Posts
A good rule-of-thumb to follow is never apply 12V or run a continuity test, which is also applying 12V, to an unknown wire; in particular to wires where a module is supplying a ground; a good way to pop a transistor. To run a continuity test, always disconnect the wire at it's source. Make use of a wiring diagram where possible.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Sure. It's a regular SPST switch with a backlight. Just make sure to get a "backlighted switch" and not a "lighted switch". The latter are lighted when the switch is on, you want it lighted when the headlights are on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright I’m not too worried about having the backlight but what I’m noticing is the hazard lights come on when ever i touch the green wire to any wire including the ground wire for some reason

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Grounding Green/Red is supposed to turn the hazards on, that's how the circuit works. There's a pullup resistor inside the BCM that keeps the line at either 12V or 5V (not sure which on in '05) when the switch is open. When the switch closes it connects Green/Red to Black, which overpowers the resistor and pulls Green/Red to ground. That tells the BCM to turn on the hazards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright thanks for the help i figured it out to just using a normal switch between green / red positive and the ground. I think i might have blown a fuse doing this unfortunately because now I have no illumination when headlights come on and the car beeping tone doesn’t come on anymore either lol any idea where i can figure out a fix for that?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
The illumination circuit is powered off the taillamp fuse, under the hood in the IPDM. So if the taillights are out then you blew the fuse. If the taillights are on then you probably blew out the dimmer control putting 12V on the Red/Yellow wire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The illumination circuit is powered off the taillamp fuse, under the hood in the IPDM. So if the taillights are out then you blew the fuse. If the taillights are on then you probably blew out the dimmer control putting 12V on the Red/Yellow wire.
Yep you were 100% correct it was the tail lamp fuse Where did you learn all of this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts