Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed the headlights not projecting very far? Mine don't seem to shed any light beyond 100 to 150 feet. At 60 mph I am way over driving my headlights. With the brights on it certainly helps but my fellow drivers aren't impressed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Has anyone else noticed the headlights not projecting very far? Mine don't seem to shed any light beyond 100 to 150 feet. At 60 mph I am way over driving my headlights. With the brights on it certainly helps but my fellow drivers aren't impressed.
Yes. I recently became an owner of a 2013 Altima and I noticed the same thing. Very dangerous driving backroads at night without the high beams. If anyone knows of a way to aim these headlights, I'd be interested.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a 2.5 SL with halogen headlights. I know it doesn't have the xenon lights. They only seem to light up out to maybe 2 car lengths ahead.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the HID or regular headlights?
How can you tell the difference? I have an SL model but nowhere on the window sticker does it say anything about xenon (HID) headlights. It only mentions LED tail lights. I thought about removing one to see but it looks like a monster to get to and the owners manual recommends returning to the dealer to have them replaced.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think only the 3.5 SL models have the HID lamps. HID headlights are super bright so they give them a very sharp cutoff through the use of lenses and reflectors. Some HIDs, especially older ones, have a bluish tint. From what I've seen, HID headlights do not shine way down the road on any brand of car. The high beams, which typically are not HIDs, do project light quite a long distance. My Subaru and Altima - both with HIDs - have this same issue. Fortunately the lense system on the Altima puts some light on the shoulders of the road and on the sidewalks so I can see pedestrians/bicycles without using the high beams. My Subaru HIDs shine only down the middle of the road, so I have to use the high beams to see outside of the HID coverage area, making enemies as mentioned before.

To finally answer your question. If you have normal halogen lamps, they are adjustable, but should already be aimed to the correct setting, right from the factory. HIDs are probably adjustable, but they have self leveling systems to prevent blinding other drivers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
71784, thanks for your help. I'm going to see if my Nissan dealer can take a look to see if mine are actually aimed correctly.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Headlights and other issues

You need to try new led headlights to solve this problem
No, I think Nissan needs to make a car that is safe to drive. I have since measured the projected beam of my low beam headlights and they project 60'! When you are driving on a back road at anything above 40 mph you are way over driving the headlights. I don't have and haven't had this issue with any other car I drive or have driven. In my opinion, this car is unsafe to drive after dark and I avoid doing so whenever possible.

And speaking of which, in the first 5000 miles I have owned this car I have had more problems then I did in the past 8 years with my previous 2 cars. (08 Impala and 05 Freestyle) Most of these are not major issues but I certainly consider the headlights a major problem.

1. Headlights not projecting far enough on low beam. Nissan dealer says there is no adjustment and they are set according to spec.
2. Heated seats don't work properly. When set on Low only the seat back heats up and when set on High only the seat bottom heats. TSB supposedly on the way.
3. Bluetooth connectivity with my Galaxy S3 is sporadic at best. Phone book won't stay loaded. And it seems this system was designed to only work 100% with an iPhone. (I won't take the time here to express my distaste for Apple and everything they stand for).
4. After loading or using a POI loaded from Google my Nav system displays a message telling me "function not available while driving, pay attention to the road" or something to that effect. I have to constantly hit the map button to remove the message but it pops right back up after a few seconds and continues to do it even if I cancel the route or switch the display to XM or AM/FM. Very annoying!
5. Yesterday while driving the red "brake" warning light came on. At first I thought I may have inadvertently hit the E-Brake pedal as my brakes were functioning properly. However, I checked that by completely setting the e-brake and releasing it and the light remained on. Only after turning the car completely off and restarting did the light go off and has so far remained off.

There are many things I like about this car but we are off to a bad start.

·
Registered
56 Posts
jmitchell - regarding your stereo issues:

Does your USB input work right? Mine doesn't work with a simple thumbdrive. I haven't tried an iPod or iPhone plugged into the USB port, but I've tried 3 thumbdrives, and the Nissan dealer service guy tried his, and it doesn't work with any of them. I even put a smaller 8 GB, with just like 5 songs in the root directory, and it doesn't play right. Of course, the thing initially navigates and finds the song you want to play, it just doesn't play after that. He also tested another '13 on the lot and it has the exact same problem.

When I say it doesn't work or play, I mean it plays music and displays the music info for approx 3 seconds, then stops playing music and the display goes blank for about 3 seconds, then it starts playing and displaying again for 3 seconds, then stops/goes blank, ..................................

Sorry for the thread hijack.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jmitchell - regarding your stereo issues:

Does your USB input work right? Mine doesn't work with a simple thumbdrive. I haven't tried an iPod or iPhone plugged into the USB port, but I've tried 3 thumbdrives, and the Nissan dealer service guy tried his, and it doesn't work with any of them. I even put a smaller 8 GB, with just like 5 songs in the root directory, and it doesn't play right. Of course, the thing initially navigates and finds the song you want to play, it just doesn't play after that. He also tested another '13 on the lot and it has the exact same problem.

When I say it doesn't work or play, I mean it plays music and displays the music info for approx 3 seconds, then stops playing music and the display goes blank for about 3 seconds, then it starts playing and displaying again for 3 seconds, then stops/goes blank, ..................................

Sorry for the thread hijack.
I hadn't tried it buy did when you asked and it does not. It doesn't even work for the 2 or 3 seconds you mentioned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I think Nissan needs to make a car that is safe to drive. I have since measured the projected beam of my low beam headlights and they project 60'! When you are driving on a back road at anything above 40 mph you are way over driving the headlights. I don't have and haven't had this issue with any other car I drive or have driven. In my opinion, this car is unsafe to drive after dark and I avoid doing so whenever possible.

And speaking of which, in the first 5000 miles I have owned this car I have had more problems then I did in the past 8 years with my previous 2 cars. (08 Impala and 05 Freestyle) Most of these are not major issues but I certainly consider the headlights a major problem.

1. Headlights not projecting far enough on low beam. Nissan dealer says there is no adjustment and they are set according to spec.
2. Heated seats don't work properly. When set on Low only the seat back heats up and when set on High only the seat bottom heats. TSB supposedly on the way.
3. Bluetooth connectivity with my Galaxy S3 is sporadic at best. Phone book won't stay loaded. And it seems this system was designed to only work 100% with an iPhone. (I won't take the time here to express my distaste for Apple and everything they stand for).
4. After loading or using a POI loaded from Google my Nav system displays a message telling me "function not available while driving, pay attention to the road" or something to that effect. I have to constantly hit the map button to remove the message but it pops right back up after a few seconds and continues to do it even if I cancel the route or switch the display to XM or AM/FM. Very annoying!
5. Yesterday while driving the red "brake" warning light came on. At first I thought I may have inadvertently hit the E-Brake pedal as my brakes were functioning properly. However, I checked that by completely setting the e-brake and releasing it and the light remained on. Only after turning the car completely off and restarting did the light go off and has so far remained off.

There are many things I like about this car but we are off to a bad start.
Oh and I forgot the Blind Spot and Lane Departure Warning doesn't work 60 or 70% of the time. The dealer tried to fix it and it worked for 5 days before it started malfunctioning again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah, owning mine has been a joke. I'll eventually post my whole story - not that anybody gives a hoot - but Nissan has had the car 75% of the time since I bought it October 16th. It needed a new engine the second day I got it. That's just the beginning. I can't stand to talk about it. If I were rich I'd set the thing on fire.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Headlights

My sister bought a 2014 Nissan Altima last year and we've noticed the same thing. Very unsafe to drive at night. The lights do not light up the road signs well enough to see. Can't even see (much less read) the license plate on the car right in front of us. I drive her car often. Coming back from the beach late at night for the first time driving it, I thought I had suddenly gone blind! Nissan told her they'd never heard this. Lately, they say they've heard it, but nothing is offered as a fix for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My sister bought a 2014 Nissan Altima last year and we've noticed the same thing. Very unsafe to drive at night. The lights do not light up the road signs well enough to see. Can't even see (much less read) the license plate on the car right in front of us. I drive her car often. Coming back from the beach late at night for the first time driving it, I thought I had suddenly gone blind! Nissan told her they'd never heard this. Lately, they say they've heard it, but nothing is offered as a fix for it.
The headlights are easy but tedious to adjust. Nissan wants you to go in through a hole near the fender and turn a plastic dial slowly with the tip of a screw driver.

What I've found is you get an 8mm or 10mm (can't remember) ratchet or better yet a ratcheting screw driver. Turn the front wheels to one side and then peel that plastic fender liner back and turn the bolt with the plastic gear attached to it. It takes many turns to make even a small adjustment so you're going to want to put duct tape on a wall or use a yardstick to see your progress. Then turn the wheels the other way and do the other side.

Go to 2:26 on this video which is for headlight install but they show the bolt with the star behind it that you need to adjust.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9INPN5_gqs

·
Registered
3 Posts
I watched the install video, but I didn't see a bolt with a star on it. I saw the bolt where he pointed and said that was the high beams. Is that silver bolt the one you are talking about? Though I understand what you are saying to do, I think I may be unable to do it myself. Why won't Nissan do this?

And I thought my 1995 Honda Accord was difficult to replace headlight bulbs. Nissan...what a stupid design!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I watched the install video, but I didn't see a bolt with a star on it. I saw the bolt where he pointed and said that was the high beams. Is that silver bolt the one you are talking about? Though I understand what you are saying to do, I think I may be unable to do it myself. Why won't Nissan do this?

And I thought my 1995 Honda Accord was difficult to replace headlight bulbs. Nissan...what a stupid design!
I'm talking about adjusting where the headlight point. I'm not talking about replacements that's why I said what time to flip to on the video. So this picture attached is the bolt to turn. The view is behind the tire, behind the plastic shroud, from the passenger side.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I knew you were using that video to show me where this was. The picture clears it up. Thank you so much. Very helpful. And, that was a great video, too. I'm now more educated and may give it a try.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes, I knew you were using that video to show me where this was. The picture clears it up. Thank you so much. Very helpful. And, that was a great video, too. I'm now more educated and may give it a try.
Okay. I misunderstood. Yeah I didn't even watch the video it was just the first thing that came up on the search. But it's simple to adjust but not as simple as other cars. Nissans shop instructions at the dealer say to go through a hole from above and turn that star wheel; but a passing tech heard what we were up to and said go in from the wheel well and it was much easier. Getting it right and legal is another thing. You should find a flat parking lot at night and pick a marker across the lot to hit if you want to do this in one try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Adjusting the aim of the headlights is fairly simple, I found after doing so, they still were not very bright. I decided to put HIDs on my 2014 2.5S. I bought the OPT7 6K 35W kit off eBay and they work well and project further than stock, but maybe getting 5k would be best as at that temp they do put out more light.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts