Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I scheduled my car with my dealer service center and took it in on the selected time and date. They then told me to take the car home until parts came in. I asked when approximately the parts would be in. My dealer told me that the parts were in the US but had no idea when Nissan would send them. We can't drive the car with the light problem and asked if there was anything i could do to expedite, I was told all I could do is wait for their call. The car is the best car I have ever purchased, no complaints,however, the new dealer " Keating " has been terrible. Does anyone have any idea what's going on with the parts? Thanx

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It's the supply chain thing, and it applies to all sorts of parts right now, not just Altie headlamps. We techs are all sick of needing to tell customers their parts are on "intergalactic back order", but right now that's all we can do. Recently we had to wait almost three weeks for a pair of tiny plastic clips to fix a leaky Rogue roof. That's awful, but you can be sure the dealership doesn't like that sort of thing any better than you. I don't doubt that there are whole containers of Altie headlights floating someplace off LA, but when they'll reach us is anybody's guess, including Nissan's.
:mad:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I scheduled my car with my dealer service center and took it in on the selected time and date. They then told me to take the car home until parts came in. I asked when approximately the parts would be in. My dealer told me that the parts were in the US but had no idea when Nissan would send them. We can't drive the car with the light problem and asked if there was anything i could do to expedite, I was told all I could do is wait for their call. The car is the best car I have ever purchased, no complaints,however, the new dealer " Keating " has been terrible. Does anyone have any idea what's going on with the parts? Thanx
did they test your headlight by some tools or just visual inspection for PASS/FAIL? did they write a work order for your car specifically for the parts? or just order the parts in generl for dealership itself?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
did they test your headlight by some tools or just visual inspection for PASS/FAIL? did they write a work order for your car specifically for the parts? or just order the parts in generl for dealership itself?
If you got an actual Recall Notice, there's a bulletin with a specific test. However, the bulletin ignores the "oxide blindness" well known to occur on the Altima focusers from vaporized chrome, so if your lamps pass the test but are still blind, the settlement basically entitles you to one free set just by asking for it. Contact the settlement administrator if a dealership gives you problems.

In all cases, the dealership will need to create a work order and the replacement needs to go through the normal repair and parts processes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you got an actual Recall Notice, there's a bulletin with a specific test. However, the bulletin ignores the "oxide blindness" well known to occur on the Altima focusers from vaporized chrome, so if your lamps pass the test but are still blind, the settlement basically entitles you to one free set just by asking for it. Contact the settlement administrator if a dealership gives you problems.

In all cases, the dealership will need to create a work order and the replacement needs to go through the normal repair and parts processes.
Thank you for your reply. A work order was created for my car, and I hope it will come within 3 months.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Right now the parts are on "intergalactic back order" because of supply chain issues. I'm sure there are whole containers of them stuck on a boat somewhere. Not really Nissan's fault, but frustrating nevertheless. It isn't just headlights, a great many parts across the whole Nissan line are in similar limbo. Your parts order won't expire, have patience and the new lights will get here. I'd suggest calling your service advisor at the dealership every few weeks just to be certain nothing drops through the cracks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
For everyone's information, Nissan just issued a universal US recall of all '13~'18 Altima sedans and '13 coupes for halogen headlight replacement. So if you missed the settlement action deadlines or didn't know about it, you should be getting a notice to replace your lights anyway. Bulletin numbers are NTB22-039 for the sedan, NTB22-040 for the coupe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For everyone's information, Nissan just issued a universal US recall of all '13~'18 Altima sedans and '13 coupes for halogen headlight replacement. So if you missed the settlement action deadlines or didn't know about it, you should be getting a notice to replace your lights anyway. Bulletin numbers are NTB22-039 for the sedan, NTB22-040 for the coupe.
I am happy to report from dealership that the parts (ordered 2 months ago) have just come in, and scheduled to have the headlights replaced early next week. Was told it will take about 4 hours. I hope everything is OK.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO! I thought I was out of luck since I didn’t get anything in the mail and had missed the date in April! I will be calling the dealership today if all goes we’ll I’ll stop driving with my brights on!
it was killing to think about replacing them because to do so all I could think is who wants to go with the same type when you can convert to LED .. only problem there is YouTube videos showed light tests where LED was not as bright and without the whole assembly…. Well no point in making a decision on that now. Again thank you for the recall info it will be nice to see the road with low beams so that 1 out 100 cars won’t flash me!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
THANK YOU FOR THE INFO! I thought I was out of luck since I didn’t get anything in the mail and had missed the date in April! I will be calling the dealership today if all goes we’ll I’ll stop driving with my brights on!
it was killing to think about replacing them because to do so all I could think is who wants to go with the same type when you can convert to LED .. only problem there is YouTube videos showed light tests where LED was not as bright and without the whole assembly…. Well no point in making a decision on that now. Again thank you for the recall info it will be nice to see the road with low beams so that 1 out 100 cars won’t flash me!
You're most welcome. Nissan issued the recall bulletin but I don't think they've activated the recall yet, possibly because the headlights are on a long back-order right now. They may be waiting for sufficient stock before doing a mailing. The reason LED's don't always help with old housings is that they depend on a good reflector even more than halogens, so if the chrome reflector is shot, aftermarket LED's can be dimmer than the OE bulbs. In new housings with good chrome, the Diode Dynamics SL1's on my own '13 are what I'd call "damn bright".

·
Registered
6 Posts
You're most welcome. Nissan issued the recall bulletin but I don't think they've activated the recall yet, possibly because the headlights are on a long back-order right now. They may be waiting for sufficient stock before doing a mailing. The reason LED's don't always help with old housings is that they depend on a good reflector even more than halogens, so if the chrome reflector is shot, aftermarket LED's can be dimmer than the OE bulbs. In new housings with good chrome, the Diode Dynamics SL1's on my own '13 are what I'd call "damn bright".
Just came back from dealership that my car (headlights issues) has been fixed. The parts was ordered on March 30th.
I wonder if the latest models of Nissan have issues like headlight dimming, CVT, hood latch, etc. I was thinking about a new Rouge, but now I have a second thought. (so far, headlight is the only problem I have with Altima, however, this one is really annoying, will not tolerate issues like this again).

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I wonder if the latest models of Nissan have issues like headlight dimming, CVT, hood latch, etc. I was thinking about a new Rouge, but now I have a second thought. (so far, headlight is the only problem I have with Altima, however, this one is really annoying, will not tolerate issues like this again).
New designs always have teething problems, and all designs have "frequent failure points" that sometimes can be fixed and sometimes have to be lived-with. The gen5 Alties only had a few but they turned out to be doozies. There were four separate recalls for the hood latches and three for the navi software. The funny thing about the headlights is, for some reason Nissan didn't identify the problem until after the '16 facelift was already in the pipe. Otherwise they certainly would have tweaked the design when the '16's came out.

Anyway, more to your point, I can't remember any new model since about '00 that didn't have at least one or two recalls. That isn't Nissan, it's everybody. The cause is an accelerated design cycle enabled by CAD/CAM and robotic assembly, coupled with the sheer pace of new technologies. The guys across the street at BMW and Volvo tell me some of their models have more and worse issues than your Altie ever will. So just don't expect anything you buy to be recall-and-bulletin free, no matter how much you paid for it. In the realm of today's engineering environment, that's an unattainable pipe dream.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
PS - To my knowledge the new headlights still have chrome plastic reflectors. It's possible Nissan thickened the chrome, but only time will tell if they stand up any better than the originals. Radiant heat along with the reflector geometry is what caused the issue, so if there was a "reduced heat" version of a halogen bulb I'd be telling people to use it. There isn't, so for anyone who plans to keep the car, the next best thing is H11 LED bulbs. Even cheap LED's don't radiate heat like an incandescent bulb, so they'll greatly reduce (if not completely eliminate) the rate at which the faux chrome on the reflector vaporizes. So switching over should pretty much be a permanent preventative.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FYI, Dayton Ohio Beau Townsend Ford ordered my headlights in Jan 2022 and still have no idea when they are coming. I have spoke to Nissan a number of times only to be blown off and told they have been ordered... Love the car but cannot drive it at night....

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
FYI, Dayton Ohio Beau Townsend Ford ordered my headlights in Jan 2022 and still have no idea when they are coming. I have spoke to Nissan a number of times only to be blown off and told they have been ordered... Love the car but cannot drive it at night....
Sadly, I'm not surprised. There are lots of parts on "intergalactic back-order" right now, mainly thanks to our now totally-broken supply chain. My guess is there are thousands of them floating in a container someplace off LA, but as they say, "Ya can't get there from here."

1 - 20 of 23 Posts