Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I scheduled my car with my dealer service center and took it in on the selected time and date. They then told me to take the car home until parts came in. I asked when approximately the parts would be in. My dealer told me that the parts were in the US but had no idea when Nissan would send them. We can't drive the car with the light problem and asked if there was anything i could do to expedite, I was told all I could do is wait for their call. The car is the best car I have ever purchased, no complaints,however, the new dealer " Keating " has been terrible. Does anyone have any idea what's going on with the parts? Thanx
did they test your headlight by some tools or just visual inspection for PASS/FAIL? did they write a work order for your car specifically for the parts? or just order the parts in generl for dealership itself?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you got an actual Recall Notice, there's a bulletin with a specific test. However, the bulletin ignores the "oxide blindness" well known to occur on the Altima focusers from vaporized chrome, so if your lamps pass the test but are still blind, the settlement basically entitles you to one free set just by asking for it. Contact the settlement administrator if a dealership gives you problems.

In all cases, the dealership will need to create a work order and the replacement needs to go through the normal repair and parts processes.
Thank you for your reply. A work order was created for my car, and I hope it will come within 3 months.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For everyone's information, Nissan just issued a universal US recall of all '13~'18 Altima sedans and '13 coupes for halogen headlight replacement. So if you missed the settlement action deadlines or didn't know about it, you should be getting a notice to replace your lights anyway. Bulletin numbers are NTB22-039 for the sedan, NTB22-040 for the coupe.
I am happy to report from dealership that the parts (ordered 2 months ago) have just come in, and scheduled to have the headlights replaced early next week. Was told it will take about 4 hours. I hope everything is OK.
Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
You're most welcome. Nissan issued the recall bulletin but I don't think they've activated the recall yet, possibly because the headlights are on a long back-order right now. They may be waiting for sufficient stock before doing a mailing. The reason LED's don't always help with old housings is that they depend on a good reflector even more than halogens, so if the chrome reflector is shot, aftermarket LED's can be dimmer than the OE bulbs. In new housings with good chrome, the Diode Dynamics SL1's on my own '13 are what I'd call "damn bright".
Just came back from dealership that my car (headlights issues) has been fixed. The parts was ordered on March 30th.
I wonder if the latest models of Nissan have issues like headlight dimming, CVT, hood latch, etc. I was thinking about a new Rouge, but now I have a second thought. (so far, headlight is the only problem I have with Altima, however, this one is really annoying, will not tolerate issues like this again).

·
Registered
6 Posts
New designs always have teething problems, and all designs have "frequent failure points" that sometimes can be fixed and sometimes have to be lived-with. The gen5 Alties only had a few but they turned out to be doozies. There were four separate recalls for the hood latches and three for the navi software. The funny thing about the headlights is, for some reason Nissan didn't identify the problem until after the '16 facelift was already in the pipe. Otherwise they certainly would have tweaked the design when the '16's came out.

Anyway, more to your point, I can't remember any new model since about '00 that didn't have at least one or two recalls. That isn't Nissan, it's everybody. The cause is an accelerated design cycle enabled by CAD/CAM and robotic assembly, coupled with the sheer pace of new technologies. The guys across the street at BMW and Volvo tell me some of their models have more and worse issues than your Altie ever will. So just don't expect anything you buy to be recall-and-bulletin free, no matter how much you paid for it. In the realm of today's engineering environment, that's an unattainable pipe dream.
I do not have any problem with any recalls before except this one. This is a safety issue, and it has to go through lengthy law suit, then subjective inspection that many are rejected, then need to wat for parts 3 months. This dimming issue has been with me for 2 years. I do not drive much, but imagine someone (elder ones) drive in the rainy nights.

To your knowledge, do any of the latest Nissan models have this headlight dimming, hood latch, CVT issues as discussed in Nissan Forum for 2013-2018 Altima?

·
Registered
6 Posts
FYI, Dayton Ohio Beau Townsend Ford ordered my headlights in Jan 2022 and still have no idea when they are coming. I have spoke to Nissan a number of times only to be blown off and told they have been ordered... Love the car but cannot drive it at night....
Why order from Ford dealer? I think you need to go thru the process,i.e., go to Nissan dealership, get inspected to prove dimming issues as required, then they will get special order for your car. Mine was ordered on March 30, and come in on June 10th.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts