Nissan Altima Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
New designs always have teething problems, and all designs have "frequent failure points" that sometimes can be fixed and sometimes have to be lived-with. The gen5 Alties only had a few but they turned out to be doozies. There were four separate recalls for the hood latches and three for the navi software. The funny thing about the headlights is, for some reason Nissan didn't identify the problem until after the '16 facelift was already in the pipe. Otherwise they certainly would have tweaked the design when the '16's came out.

Anyway, more to your point, I can't remember any new model since about '00 that didn't have at least one or two recalls. That isn't Nissan, it's everybody. The cause is an accelerated design cycle enabled by CAD/CAM and robotic assembly, coupled with the sheer pace of new technologies. The guys across the street at BMW and Volvo tell me some of their models have more and worse issues than your Altie ever will. So just don't expect anything you buy to be recall-and-bulletin free, no matter how much you paid for it. In the realm of today's engineering environment, that's an unattainable pipe dream.
I do not have any problem with any recalls before except this one. This is a safety issue, and it has to go through lengthy law suit, then subjective inspection that many are rejected, then need to wat for parts 3 months. This dimming issue has been with me for 2 years. I do not drive much, but imagine someone (elder ones) drive in the rainy nights.

To your knowledge, do any of the latest Nissan models have this headlight dimming, hood latch, CVT issues as discussed in Nissan Forum for 2013-2018 Altima?

· Registered
6 Posts
FYI, Dayton Ohio Beau Townsend Ford ordered my headlights in Jan 2022 and still have no idea when they are coming. I have spoke to Nissan a number of times only to be blown off and told they have been ordered... Love the car but cannot drive it at night....
Why order from Ford dealer? I think you need to go thru the process,i.e., go to Nissan dealership, get inspected to prove dimming issues as required, then they will get special order for your car. Mine was ordered on March 30, and come in on June 10th.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
To your knowledge, do any of the latest Nissan models have this headlight dimming, hood latch, CVT issues as discussed in Nissan Forum for 2013-2018 Altima?
Not those specific issues, no. I will add, that with the exception of the '16~early '17 Valve Bodies, CVT "issues" in the gen5's aren't really issues. They're largely a matter of neglected maintenance and Nissan (and other OEM's) failing to educate customers and encourage good maintenance.

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm at my wits end with this company. My first car in college was a Maxima. I'm 39 and have driven Altimas ever since. I am done with Nissan and will never buy another vehicle from the again. Has anyone considered bringing legal action beyond the additional class action that forced their hand to "attempt" to try to fix this nonsense? I've told my parents that if I crash at night and die to sue Nissan for wrongful death or negligent homicide.
New designs always have teething problems, and all designs have "frequent failure points" that sometimes can be fixed and sometimes have to be lived-with. The gen5 Alties only had a few but they turned out to be doozies. There were four separate recalls for the hood latches and three for the navi software. The funny thing about the headlights is, for some reason Nissan didn't identify the problem until after the '16 facelift was already in the pipe. Otherwise they certainly would have tweaked the design when the '16's came out.

Anyway, more to your point, I can't remember any new model since about '00 that didn't have at least one or two recalls. That isn't Nissan, it's everybody. The cause is an accelerated design cycle enabled by CAD/CAM and robotic assembly, coupled with the sheer pace of new technologies. The guys across the street at BMW and Volvo tell me some of their models have more and worse issues than your Altie ever will. So just don't expect anything you buy to be recall-and-bulletin free, no matter how much you paid for it. In the realm of today's engineering environment, that's an unattainable pipe dream.
Who cares what causes it? They are a multi-billion dollar company. FIX IT!!

· Registered
24 Posts

do you have any info or details on the navi recall?

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Yes, they went through several iterations of dinosaur-ware before they finally got it right. The '13's had a different navi and never had a problem. The recalls on the '14~'15's are long over, but the most updated firmware version is D407, you can check for yourself whether you have it:

Numbers lower than that are all buggy in one way or another, particularly the A and B versions and any D version lower than D207. D207 was pretty clean but not perfect. I know there are freeware copies of D407 kicking around on the internet, but I don't have any links. You could try to track one down with google.

· Registered
6 Posts
Yes, they went through several iterations of dinosaur-ware before they finally got it right. The '13's had a different navi and never had a problem. The recalls on the '14~'15's are long over, but the most updated firmware version is D407, you can check for yourself whether you have it:

Numbers lower than that are all buggy in one way or another, particularly the A and B versions and any D version lower than D207. D207 was pretty clean but not perfect. I know there are freeware copies of D407 kicking around on the internet, but I don't have any links. You could try to track one down with google.
I have a 2015sl and my radio is constantly glitchy from saying insert Sim to volume not responding to commands not doing what they need so do I just get a service at nissan or are they gonna charge a couple hundred to look at it. My Sirius xm won't recieve signal. Can I check it myself. Where can I get more info. And thank you for your help in advance

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Read the bulletin, you can easily check the firmware rev yourself. Like I said, I know for fact there are freeware copies of the D407 update floating around on the internet. If you locate one and download it to a thumb drive, updating the unit is easy too. Just follow the bulletin.

· Registered
2 Posts
Let me get this straight...I, too, did not receive a notification about the lawsuit.
The bulletin mentioned by another poster (Bulletin numbers are NTB22-039 for the sedans) was issued on JANUARY 19, 2022.

So in January 2022, my 2013 Nissan Altima received an extra 3-year warranty extension (a total of 6-year warranty) that expired 2019!!! The extension of the warranty was made AFTER it would've expired (2013 model + 6-year warranty = 2019). Nissan's business practices are TOTAL BS. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2022/MC-10207879-0001.pdf

· Registered
2 Posts
For everyone's information, Nissan just issued a universal US recall of all '13~'18 Altima sedans and '13 coupes for halogen headlight replacement. So if you missed the settlement action deadlines or didn't know about it, you should be getting a notice to replace your lights anyway. Bulletin numbers are NTB22-039 for the sedan, NTB22-040 for the coupe.
So for my 2013 Nissan Altima, this extended warranty that was issued in January 2022 has already expired in 2019. This was confirmed by Nissan Consumer Affairs. WTF

· Registered
1 Posts
I was part of the class action law suit. Got back all the info, however was not able to get to a service dept before that end date of Sept 23, 2022. (dads car, he's 87 in FL and I live in NY)
NTB22-002- was a 3 year extension and no longer is valid
NTB22-024 was the law suit / voluntary service campaign that ended Sept 23 2022 if you were part of the law suit
NTB22-039 and NTB22-040 are "supposed" recalls that don't seem to exist anywhere except on forums. Is there any more information if these are even real?

· Registered
24 Posts
I was part of the class action law suit. Got back all the info, however was not able to get to a service dept before that end date of Sept 23, 2022. (dads car, he's 87 in FL and I live in NY)
NTB22-002- was a 3 year extension and no longer is valid
NTB22-024 was the law suit / voluntary service campaign that ended Sept 23 2022 if you were part of the law suit
NTB22-039 and NTB22-040 are "supposed" recalls that don't seem to exist anywhere except on forums. Is there any more information if these are even real?
Vstar I appreciate all your help in the forums and I hate to beat a dead horse but covid excuses and supply chain stuck on a boat somewhere is long over. It's been a year and still no headlights. I'm sorry I don't aim any of this at you but WTF. Give us our headlights or pay us compensation for it. It will cost about 700. for replacement aftermarket lights and the labor to do the job. How many people have to get in accident before they do something about it. It's not right and Nissan should be forced to pay.
It's the supply chain thing, and it applies to all sorts of parts right now, not just Altie headlamps. We techs are all sick of needing to tell customers their parts are on "intergalactic back order", but right now that's all we can do. Recently we had to wait almost three weeks for a pair of tiny plastic clips to fix a leaky Rogue roof. That's awful, but you can be sure the dealership doesn't like that sort of thing any better than you. I don't doubt that there are whole containers of Altie headlights floating someplace off LA, but when they'll reach us is anybody's guess, including Nissan's.
:mad:
Still waiting and supply chain is not an issue anymore just another excuse by a company that won't stand behind their product. Maybe if they had to pay everytime we had to ride around with hibeams on blinding people something would get done

· Registered
1,463 Posts
Y'all have my sympathies, but I build electronic widgets on the side and anyone who thinks the supply chain is "over" just doesn't know about it. This June, because the supplier is only running dies once a year, I'll have to pay $2+ for the chips I used to buy for $1.05, and I'll have to buy 600~800 of them because they need to last me a whole year. The entire silicon industry is like that, and the plastics industry isn't much better. I understand frustration, but frankly, next time elect somebody who gives a crap. Then maybe things will change.

Have y'all noticed the Ariya isn't even out yet? That was supposed to be last spring, and it isn't here because Nissan has the same problem I do. No chips and a lot of missing plastic. Ugh.

· Registered
24 Posts
Y'all have my sympathies, but I build electronic widgets on the side and anyone who thinks the supply chain is "over" just doesn't know about it. This June, because the supplier is only running dies once a year, I'll have to pay $2+ for the chips I used to buy for $1.05, and I'll have to buy 600~800 of them because they need to last me a whole year. The entire silicon industry is like that, and the plastics industry isn't much better. I understand frustration, but frankly, next time elect somebody who gives a crap. Then maybe things will change.

Have y'all noticed the Ariya isn't even out yet? That was supposed to be last spring, and it isn't here because Nissan has the same problem I do. No chips and a lot of missing plastic. Ugh.
I just meant its not sitting on a boat in a container waiting to be unloaded. I agree the supply chain is a mess. I work for a large supermarket chain and I know the supply issues exist.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts