Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver's seat will get too hot. The passenger's seat is fine. I have just over 50,000 miles on it and the service department said that heated seats are an accessory and likely not covered in the extended warranty therefore I could expect to pay $136 just for a diagnosis then it would likely be the module would need to be replaced.

Anyone else that may have replaced a heated seat module?

·
Registered
399 Posts
If the heaters are accessories that were added by the dealership at sale, chances are they farmed the job out to an installer, usually an audio shop. The original dealership should have records of where the work was performed, and that's where you should take it. If they're factory heaters and they turn off properly (as opposed to staying on no matter what button you push), then chances are it's a bad thermostat in the seat cushion and not a bad module, but that's worse, it's a pricey part and a lot of labor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can shut off so must be thermostat. Is the thermostat controlling the individual seat, since the other is operating correctly?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, there's one in the lower pad on each seat. There's a wiring diagram from the '19 ESM in this thread:

If you're handy and not afraid to yank the seat and strip the lower cushion, in theory it should be possible to replace the sensor with a commercial thermistor. However, first you'd need to take some resistance-to-temperature readings off the healthy seat in order to spec a proper replacement. I can help with that if you want to try it. If I recall correctly, the lower covers on the gen6 only have a few hog rings and a lot of super velcro, so they aren't hard to work with once removed. I usually cut the hogs with a dremel and replace them with zip ties on reassembly. The lower cushion is all J-hook attachments, so it can come off the frame without removing the back or other hardware except for the two plastic trim panels on the sides.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am handy and actually can follow instructions too. I will check the cost of a thermostat first.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The heater assembly comes as part of the lower cushion. List for the cheapest version is $1024, $680 even at NissanPartsDeal.

·
Registered
399 Posts
You probably want to do some diag to make sure of the issue before you buy anything, too. Depending how the sensor is biased, you should see a fixed voltage (either power or ground) on one side and a voltage that changes with temperature on the other. The healthy seat should give you a good idea of what to look for. If the stat looks healthy then you might have a partially-shorted element, we've seen that happen with incorrectly-installed hog rings. Could also be a short to ground in the seat harness on the PWM line from the HVAC.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here's a color version from the EWD that may be more helpful for diag. I won't be at the shop till Wednesday so I can't pull up connector layouts right now. B12:B201 will be the under-seat connector, M6:B1 will be the SMJ connector behind the lefthand kick panel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts