Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I just get my first Japan car - Nissan altima 3.5 2015 and love it after VW Golf Mk3. Please PM me link with FAQ for my engine maintenance if you have one! Thanks

·
Administrator
307 Posts
For engine maintenance, just follow the owner's manual. However here's a tip not found in the owner's manual or the FSM: If the tranny in your car is a CVT, then change the fluid every 30,000 miles or less no matter if you've been told not to change it at all. To enhance longevity, the CVT fluid should always be replaced every 30,000 mi. When the fluid stays in too long, the chemical properties of the fluid get compromised and it can no longer provide that cushion that's so needed between the steel belt and the cones. The fluid has two great enemies, and temperature is only one of them. The other is shearing force generated by normal operation of the belt, which increases on hills or with a load. This gradually breaks down and shortens the long-chain molecules that cushion the belt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For engine maintenance, just follow the owner's manual. However here's a tip not found in the owner's manual or the FSM: If the tranny in your car is a CVT, then change the fluid every 30,000 miles or less no matter if you've been told not to change it at all. To enhance longevity, the CVT fluid should always be replaced every 30,000 mi. When the fluid stays in too long, the chemical properties of the fluid get compromised and it can no longer provide that cushion that's so needed between the steel belt and the cones. The fluid has two great enemies, and temperature is only one of them. The other is shearing force generated by normal operation of the belt, which increases on hills or with a load. This gradually breaks down and shortens the long-chain molecules that cushion the belt.
Thank's for advice. What is the best fluid for the CVT and how much do I get for one change?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
What is the best fluid for the CVT and how much do I get for one change?
By way of my customers I can vouch for both AMSoil and Eneos, they're both equal or better than Nissan NS3 in performance and both totally miscible with NS3. Nissan dealers will of course use NS3 and it will probably run you around $200. However, if you get it done by a 3rd party, ask one simple question before you let them service it: "Do you know how to use the leveling plug?" If you get a blank look, run-don't-walk to the next service place. Here's why: It only takes a half pint overfilled to damage a CVT. Go a full pint over and it will cause damage it in a hurry, usually catastrophically. The leveling plug is how you get it right every time without using a dipstick, a bottom-up pump, or a lot of screwing around. So it's a job best done DIY if you have any skills, and by a CVT-savvy technician and not an oil changer if you're paying to have it done. It's no more complicated than, say, a diesel oil change, but it must be done right. If you're interested in DIYing it, there are several good threads in here with how-to's and links to videos.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.