Nissan Altima Forum banner

I'm not so good at cars

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  gameguru1360 
#1 ·
I just got myself a 2007 Altima 2.5 sedan. It's just stock but I don't really know anything about cars. I'd like some advice on how to install different body and performance mods, and how much it cost to get things professionally done compared to doing it yourself...

If anyone has tips for me as a new car owner I'd love to hear them!

#2 ·
Baby steps, start off doing something easy if you are doing it yourself. Before you do any mods put in the time in research ,than decide if you can take it on. Find a good garage to take on the mods that you feel are over your head and stick with them. The better your relation is with a garage the better the service. Most important, don't try doing too much at one time, finish one mod before starting another. Do it yourself: debadging, new intake, new exhaust, body kits, brake work, premium oil and filter, plug in lighting and electronics. Leave for the pros: window tint, paint work, engine work, custom electronics.

#3 ·
And to add on to what stingray said, chime in here with your ideas. There's a lot of knowledge here and if you think something seems tough, it could end up being simple with the right help. That'll save you dough and give you a sense of accomplishment with your car.

Welcome to the forum my fellow Canadianian!

#13 ·
It's a semi-auto transmission, When you push it over you do the shifting so you can make it shift a little sooner or a little later. But, it will over ride you if you do not shift in time so you don't brake anything. Yes, in my opinion it is just a toy to make your car feel a little more sporty. In the 70's they first came out with this concept, the SLAPSTICK.

#14 ·
yeah whenever you redline, the computer automatically shifts for you.

I noticed the dodge durango has this except if you redline, you redline and have to shift manually. I was fiddling around with it one time since it was a rental and couldn't figure out how to reset it until I tried putting it in neutral which reset it. In that sense, you could manually upshift/downshift! By the way, that dodge durango was a POS! Even the factory xm radio was cutting in & out and I wasn't even in a parking garage!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.