Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys I'm finally tackling my spark plugs today and I was just curious what other things should I do / change / inspect / clean etc etc while I have my intake manifold off any ideas would be greatly appreciated

best product to clean my manifold and other cleaning products to do other parts.
I also might take my valve covers off too so let me know about that too.

Thanks

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pick yourself up a PCV valve. I'm assuming you've picked up a new plenum gasket?
yes I picked up the plenum gasket will I notice a difference when I change the PCV valve
is an older OR faulty one a cause of performance issues

any other suggestions mike

·
Premium Member
11,753 Posts
The 05-06 does use an EGR valve. 02-06 will have a PCV valve. You're in there anyway and the part is dirt cheap. It makes sense to change it now.

Some guys will notice they have oil in the rear plug tubes. This is a sign the rear valve cover tube seals are leaking. Just don't be surprised to see it. The seals come with a new valve cover.

Not sure what else you can look out for. Have fun.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The 05-06 does use an EGR valve. 02-06 will have a PCV valve. You're in there anyway and the part is dirt cheap. It makes sense to change it now.

Some guys will notice they have oil in the rear plug tubes. This is a sign the rear valve cover tube seals are leaking. Just don't be surprised to see it. The seals come with a new valve cover.

Not sure what else you can look out for. Have fun.

thanks for all the help I will pick up a pcv now
yikes new valve covers our pricey
would you recommend any cleaning products for the intake manifold and lower plenum

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Look up the valve cover for an 05 Altima. If you need one, it will be the rear one. The 05 is much cheaper and is a direct fit.
For a rear valve cover with gasket the dealer quoted me 60 for the parts is that right.
Seems a littler cheap but if that's the case I'm picking one up

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Correct, just the PCV.

Edit - what year is your car? Looks like an 02-04. -
its an 02 3.5

replaced the plugs and just the pcv.
doing that job was surprisingly easy. 2 1/2 hours from pulling it in the garage to pulling it out

like i said before everything was surprisingly clean and bone dry so i'm returning the valve cover and gasket.

My rough almost stalling start-up is still there so its definitely not the plugs or coils (tested them all)

I'm going to try the pressurized fuel injector cleaning service like you suggested. im sure that will bring back any lost performance.

if that doesn't work i'll try the MAF

but if none of that works i'm lost.

im throwing no codes, i don't leak/burn/or eat oil and she's clean on the inside

1 - 13 of 13 Posts