Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

In May I recently purchase an altima at 35k miles and have no issues at all up until last week. Last week I had an engine light appear and after a scan P0101 appear and I pulled over and checked the air filter to make sure that was it was in place and that there was no major debris found. It is a little dusty but still in noticeably nice condition compared to my other cars. After turning the vehicle back on the check engine light disappeared(cool). Now a day or two later it did the same thing and the last time I adjusted it was the last I noticed a light until tonight. Tonight the symbol appeared so I ran a scan and it appeared the same. This time tho, I was literally in traffic pulling into a red light and the car literally died on me at the stop in the D position and asked me to place the shifter back to park. I did this, started the car back up, and it worked but less than a minute later it did the same thing. I was very scared driving to my destination and I am quite concerned why such a new vehicle is having these issues. I have seen the potential repairs and they are very expensive and I am wondering if anyone knows what warranty it could possibly be covered by or any recommendations.

Thank you.

·
Registered
399 Posts
There's a bulletin for P0101, NTB19-045. Your ECM needs a reflash. See a dealer, it should be covered by drivetrain warranty (5/60)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's a bulletin for P0101, NTB19-045. Your ECM needs a reflash. See a dealer, it should be covered by drivetrain warranty (5/60)
I just looked up the bulletin and the engine I have isn’t covered it covers a P0087/P2008

·
Registered
399 Posts
NTB19-045b

MIL ON WITH DTC P0087, P0101, P0448, OR P2008, VEHICLES REGISTERED OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA

APPLIED VEHICLES: 2015 – 2018 Altima (L33) 2019 Altima (L34) 2015 – 2017 Juke (F15) 2019 Kicks (P15) 2016 – 2018 Maxima (A36) 2015 – 2018 Murano (Z52) 2017 Rogue Sport (J11) 2017 – 2018 Rogue Hybrid (T32H) 2015 – 2019 Pathfinder (R52) 2017 – 2019 Sentra (B17) with MR16DDT 2018 Versa Note (E12) 2018 Versa Sedan (N17)

APPLIED STATES: Vehicles registered outside of California

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NTB19-045

MIL ON WITH DTC P0087, P0101, P0448, OR P2008, VEHICLES REGISTERED OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA

APPLIED VEHICLES: 2015 – 2018 Altima (L33) 2019 Altima (L34) 2015 – 2017 Juke (F15) 2019 Kicks (P15) 2016 – 2018 Maxima (A36) 2015 – 2018 Murano (Z52) 2017 Rogue Sport (J11) 2017 – 2018 Rogue Hybrid (T32H) 2015 – 2019 Pathfinder (R52) 2017 – 2019 Sentra (B17) with MR16DDT 2018 Versa Note (E12) 2018 Versa Sedan (N17)

APPLIED STATES: Vehicles registered outside of California
Before we purchased it it came from another state...would that mean that it still may be covered?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I brought in the vehicle this afternoon and they are currently updating the ecm. They found another problem with my volume button because it acts erratically and need to replace the whole unit. Wonderful!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Glad you're getting it straightened out. Sounds like a good dealership that wants your business, it always makes me happy to hear that..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m very thankful except for the radio part that should be another discussion. The issue began when we first bought and they are saying now that it is out of warranty we’re unable to use warranty and it is out of pocket.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes, the AV Units are only 3/36. The ECM repro is covered under drivetrain, 5/60. However, you shouldn't need a new AV, there's a bulletin for that also, NTB20-046. The encoders (they're not potentiometers like an old school radio) get dirty and the original AV firmware mishandles the slightly-corrupted gray code signal. The bulletin advises turning the knob as fast as possible for 30 seconds in each direction before reprogramming, but you can try that yourself. We discovered it before the bulletin came out, and sometimes it works without the reflash. In the shop I use a variable speed drill with a foam buffing pad to spin it at about 1~2 turns per second. The reflash only takes about 50 minutes so they should charge no more than an hour for it, the thumb used for your car is the IVI003 version.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, the AV Units are only 3/36. The ECM repro is covered under drivetrain, 5/60. However, you shouldn't need a new AV, there's a bulletin for that also, NTB20-046. The encoders (they're not potentiometers like an old school radio) get dirty and the original AV firmware mishandles the slightly-corrupted gray code signal. The bulletin advises turning the knob as fast as possible for 30 seconds in each direction before reprogramming, but you can try that yourself. We discovered it before the bulletin came out, and sometimes it works without the reflash. In the shop I use a variable speed drill with a foam buffing pad to spin it at about 1~2 turns per second. The reflash only takes about 50 minutes so they should charge no more than an hour for it, the thumb used for your car is the IVI003 version.
You’re by far the most helpful person with my Nissan experience thus far. Thank you for being very thorough, resourceful, and helpful. Means a lot!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Truly happy to help. I'm a Nissan master tech who loves the brand, and simplifying some of the "small stuff that seems big" is one way to make for happier Nissan owners. I suppose you could simply call it a mechanic's twist on "paying it forward". Happy motoring! ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Truly happy to help. I'm a Nissan master tech who loves the brand, and simplifying some of the "small stuff that seems big" is one way to make for happier Nissan owners. I suppose you could simply call it a mechanic's twist on "paying it forward". Happy motoring! ;)
Well, I am glad we have people like you in this world. My experience retaining the vehicle was great, but I left with a sour taste in my mouth. I acknowledged the stereo issue because honestly how does such a new vehicles stereo go completely out that quick? im also quite confused that a vehicle such as this one that no data is stored when issues occur. I believe the stereo will cost over $3500-4000. I am going to research the method you used but I was so surprised that when I asked to speak to the sites manager he came at me like "you should have gotten extended warranty and if you dont like the car just buy a new one and trade that one in. we will give you full value and we will take care of the stereo."

·
Registered
399 Posts
im also quite confused that a vehicle such as this one that no data is stored when issues occur. I believe the stereo will cost over $3500-4000. I am going to research the method you used but I was so surprised that when I asked to speak to the sites manager he came at me like "you should have gotten extended warranty and if you dont like the car just buy a new one and trade that one in. we will give you full value and we will take care of the stereo."
There are no diagnostics on the radio buttons to be able to throw codes. They're rather like the MAF is to the ECM, there's no MAP sensor to double-check it. The ECM just has to trust it, so bad things happen if it lies.

I am surprised that they didn't know about the bulletin, this was a known problem with the new Altie radios from the moment they came out. We actually discovered the "spin it" fix before Nissan did, but it's only half the problem, the other half is in the decoder firmware. Even if the radio needs replacement, it's likely there's a "reman" radio available from Bosch at far lower cost, I'm surprised no one checked. Sounds like the manager just wanted to sell you a different car.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There are no diagnostics on the radio buttons to be able to throw codes. They're rather like the MAF is to the ECM, there's no MAP sensor to double-check it. The ECM just has to trust it, so bad things happen if it lies.

I am surprised that they didn't know about the bulletin, this was a known problem with the new Altie radios from the moment they came out. We actually discovered the "spin it" fix before Nissan did, but it's only half the problem, the other half is in the decoder firmware. Even if the radio needs replacement, it's likely there's a "reman" radio available from Bosch at far lower cost, I'm surprised no one checked. Sounds like the manager just wanted to sell you a different car.
They said they “attempted” the spin fix and it was to no avail. They literally had no empathy and kept referring back to the warranty factor. I will exercising my last couple of options tho. I don’t think it is fair at all for a consumer to take on such an expensive hardware issue that was no fault of my own.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Did they do the repro, or just spin it? I was looking this morning, and those units have been out for long enough now that there are plenty of used ones from LKQ, eBay, etc. Generally they're in the $250~350 range for the non-navi version. If you need to go that route, two things: First, buy the replacement by the part number and not a description. The Nissan p/n will be on the manufacturer sticker on the radio, or the dealer can read it out using their Consult3+ scanner. The unit is only four 10mm screws to remove if you need to access the sticker. Second, the radio configuration needs to be uploaded from your existing unit and then downloaded to the new one, things may not work correctly if that isn't done. The dealer can upload and print that information easily with the C3+, as well as obtain the p/n.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Oh, and after replacement, have the IVI003 update done to make sure the replacement doesn't develop the same issue.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, and after replacement, have the IVI003 update done to make sure the replacement doesn't develop the same issue.
I don’t mean to completely ignore the last 2 messages but I def will respond but real quick I wanted to ask if you know much about the U0100. My reader is telling me it’s a high severity issue.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I wanted to ask if you know much about the U0100. My reader is telling me it’s a high severity issue.
If it's in the radio it means it lost communication with the ECM, but the only effect will be that active noise cancellation will quit working. "U" codes in general just mean a unit can't "hear" another unit on CAN that it's supposed to hear from. If there's no matching U1000 in the ECM then I'd say it was probably a transient, just erase it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it's in the radio it means it lost communication with the ECM, but the only effect will be that active noise cancellation will quit working. "U" codes in general just mean a unit can't "hear" another unit on CAN that it's supposed to hear from. If there's no matching U1000 in the ECM then I'd say it was probably a transient, just erase it.
Okay that sounds less stressful if that is the issue. The dealership asked me to bring it in. I’m not sure if it’s related to the original MAF issue software they did yesterday or off the diagnostics they did with the radio. I’m so very new with all the electronics issues it makes me wanna go back to school and learn it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts