Nissan Altima Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Would software upgrade 0345 seem correct to fix my issue? Originally I was 07** and when I recently took it in they upgraded me to 0810, and now I’m at 0345. Wondering if this sounds correct for the infotainment.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I know the IVI thumbs change the series number but I don't recall what it changes to. However, if that's what showed up after IVI003 then I'd assume it's correct. The standard 07xx to 0810 update doesn't fix the encoder, I believe it just installs WiFi update capability.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hello my friend, I hope all has been well. The issues pertaining to the MAF were great for 5 days and as of 3 days ago reappeared. I set up an appointment for Friday but as of tonight the first thing when I started the vehicle the p0101 blew up its flags all over the cluster and instantly lost all power. I brought to auto zone to compare their obd2 to mine and they both matched, once I left there the car completely failed while I was driving, I was able to start and get to where I was going(restaurant) and as I left it completely died again. Because I am out of town I set up a tow through nissan to have it sent to a different dealership because all of my issues have only arose out of one specific location. do you have any tips on what I should ask? This MAF is going to be the death of me if these diagnosis keep coming back inaccurate.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That's odd, P0101 by itself won't usually cause a limp. It's a "performance" code where the ECM is saying, "I have a signal but it doesn't quite make sense." It isn't a flatline code, I've seen people drive around with it for weeks or months before getting it serviced. So there must be something more serious going on in your ride, maybe an A/F sensor or fuel pump issue that the ECM is incorrectly blaming the MAF for. I'll be interested to see what they find.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My scanner seems to think that is exactly what it is. But I will leave it to the pros to decide. Just another component I know nothing about.
Would have to be a big leak to kill the car, so I'm just surprised there aren't other codes with it. Like I said, I'll be interested to see what they discover.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Would have to be a big leak to kill the car, so I'm just surprised there aren't other codes with it. Like I said, I'll be interested to see what they discover.
I’ll let ya know how things progress. Thanks again for always having an input! Much appreciated. Have a great day.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ho, wait a sec... I did see those exact symptoms once before, on a Juke. Turned out to be an EVT solenoid (exhaust valve timing) that was sticking, keeping the exhaust cam at 20+ degrees of retard. The only code it threw was P0101, but the car would barely run. Tell the dealer to put the cams up on C3+ Data Monitor and look at the timing. If the exhaust shows anything above 0 degrees at idle, that's the culprit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Ho, wait a sec... I did see those exact symptoms once before, on a Juke. Turned out to be an EVT solenoid (exhaust valve timing) that was sticking, keeping the exhaust cam at 20+ degrees of retard. The only code it threw was P0101, but the car would barely run. Tell the dealer to put the cams up on C3+ Data Monitor and look at the timing. If the exhaust shows anything above 0 degrees at idle, that's the culprit.
Sorry I was sleeping. I will call the dealership now and ask them to look into this. Thank you!

·
Registered
409 Posts
Nissan called and told me since the check engine abruptly disappeared that they aren't able to diagnose a current check engine light although I provided them proof and they see there are past codes.
Aargh. Sometimes cars are like kids at the dentist. If there isn't any clear-cut cause (which there isn't if the only evidence is a P0101), then they're correct under Nissan policy to not attempt a repair. However, if the problem is the EVT as I suspect, a P0101 is probably the only evidence you'll get without catching the solenoid in the act. All I can suggest is, if your scanner will stream the cam angles, vid the evidence for them next time it acts up. Both angles should be at or near 0 degrees unless you hit the gas very sharply.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Aargh. Sometimes cars are like kids at the dentist. If there isn't any clear-cut cause (which there isn't if the only evidence is a P0101), then they're correct under Nissan policy to not attempt a repair. However, if the problem is the EVT as I suspect, a P0101 is probably the only evidence you'll get without catching the solenoid in the act. All I can suggest is, if your scanner will stream the cam angles, vid the evidence for them next time it acts up.
Technically I have pictures and my scanner does advanced diagnostics and saves it but I sadly left the scanner In the car. One thing I did do was leave the vehicle over night with them that way they can experience my near death experiences.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts