Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's car is a 2008 Altima with about 240K. It still runs pretty good but she was getting very bad fumes in the passenger compartment. We took it to our mechanic who said the exhaust manifold has a leak and he quoted us $1600 to fix it. There's also an oil leak somewhere (not terribly unusual for a car this old with these miles, I think). Seems like the oil is dripping on an exhaust part and contributing to the smell.

She tried driving it with the vent system set to recirc but it hasn't helped much. What would you do? We are starting to look around for a used car, but I have no idea what an exhaust manifold should cost. Does $1600 sound right?Thanks in advance for any tips!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My wife's car is a 2008 Altima with about 240K. It still runs pretty good but she was getting very bad fumes in the passenger compartment. We took it to our mechanic who said the exhaust manifold has a leak and he quoted us $1600 to fix it. There's also an oil leak somewhere (not terribly unusual for a car this old with these miles, I think). Seems like the oil is dripping on an exhaust part and contributing to the smell.

She tried driving it with the vent system set to recirc but it hasn't helped much. What would you do? We are starting to look around for a used car, but I have no idea what an exhaust manifold should cost. Does $1600 sound right?Thanks in advance for any tips!

Sounds pretty high to me. I’d check wrecking yards for one. I remember having to buy a new Honda Civic exhaust manifold because they all cracked and the wrecking yards didn’t have any good ones around here, but I am absolutely certain they didn’t come close to $1600.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Bob. Yea I thought $1600 was high but our mechanic said something about having to include the cat - not sure if it has damage too, or if he was saying his sources only sold the manifold & cat together? Anyway, we are in the New York City metro area where labor is expensive and our mechanic doesn't skimp on anything. We've used him for many years & he's always done right by us in terms of the work, but he is not cheap. My thinking is that it's not worth putting $1600 into a 12-year old car with 240K, but now that we're trying to find a decent used car for ~$5K I'm not so sure. I need a winning lottery ticket! Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I believe I've found the part – and it does indeed have the cat attached. Can't post the link because I'm new here, but, it's $400 and the manufacturer is Dorman. P/N 674-933. I'm seeing it at autozone.com.

So, $400, that's not too horrible, especially if I could find a mechanic near me to do this for a few benjamins. It's gotta add up to way less than $1600 and might be worth it, even in a car this old with this many miles. Unless these aftermarket parts are junk – then again, how much longer are we gonna own this car anyway? Right now we're on the hunt for a used car and it looks like there's nothing other than beaters if you have less than $5 or $6K to spend and want a decent larger car that will go for a few years.

I found a u-tube on replacing the exhaust manifold on our exact car. If I was braver and the weather was warmer I might attempt this myself but I sense too many "gotchas", most likely seized bolts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know your car became a piece of junk; you should earn money by cash for cars brisbane is one of the most popular ways to sell your car, get money for it and make some extra cash at the same time. If you’re reading this, then it’s very likely that you’ve come across other people doing the same thing and have ended up finding ways to do it yourself too at some point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm doing same job on same vehicle, valvencover leaking all over manifold, manifold also has massive crack in it.

It also leaked oil all down the back and onto the flex pipe back there.

Using HVAC was completely impossible due to fumes, it was crazy!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts