Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been going on for many, many years. I have to try several times pressing the ignition button to start my 2013 Altima 3.5S, then it'll be okay again. When this happens, the remote trunk release and lock/unlock also don't work...

Then it's okay again. Then a few days, weeks, or months later, it starts not working again. This has been going on for 6-7 years. It started a couple years after purchasing the car brand new. I've replaced the battery in the fob 3-4 times, but even with a new battery, ... it's still finicky.

Has anybody else experienced this? What happens if it just stops working altogether? I tried starting the car with only the key (without the fob part), and it doesn't seem to be able to start without the entire fob. Is there a way around this?

Thanks

-Steve

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
There's an RFID system inside the fob for emergencies, which will work even if the fob has no battery at all. Put the end of the fob with the Nissan logo right next to the start button while you push it. That invokes a system similar to the old fathead keys which requires no power, using an antenna looped around the start button.

Come-and-go I-key problems like you describe are usually caused by interference from something in the car, something on your person, or a problem with the fob and not the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's an RFID system inside the fob for emergencies, which will work even if the fob has no battery at all. Put the end of the fob with the Nissan logo right next to the start button while you push it. That invokes a system similar to the old fathead keys which requires no power, using an antenna looped around the start button.

Come-and-go I-key problems like you describe are usually caused by interference from something in the car, something on your person, or a problem with the fob and not the car.
Cool, thanks very much for your comment! I was wondering if there was some kind of RF interference going on or something. I didn't know it would function even with no battery at all, that's awesome! Thanks again!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been experiencing this as well, and I would recommend a battery change in the fob. Word of caution though, using cheap batteries will cause this problem to continue. You'll want to use a good quality battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts