Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just purchased a 2008 2.5 s coupe with a lot of issues. One is a line that is rubbing against the passenger side axle. The shop I took it to said it was a power steering line, but from the picture they sent me I think it may be a brake line. Doesn't the brake line run directly under the oil filter and axle? Thank you for any direction you can provide. I think I will be spending a lot of time here.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

·
Administrator
340 Posts
Hello, I just purchased a 2008 2.5 s coupe with a lot of issues. One is a line that is rubbing against the passenger side axle. The shop I took it to said it was a power steering line, but from the picture they sent me I think it may be a brake line. Doesn't the brake line run directly under the oil filter and axle? Thank you for any direction you can provide. I think I will be spending a lot of time here. View attachment 11455
Looks like a screwed up dangerous DIY rig. You need to get it fixed ASAP. You don't want to lose your brakes one day.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
There is a power steering return tube which runs directly underneath the oil filter, 49723M in the diagram. However, it certainly shouldn't be rubbing on the axle. Since the tube runs along the subframe but the angle of the axle is determined by the engine/transmission orientation, my guess is you have at least two bad motor mounts allowing the axle to settle against the tube.
Font Map Auto part Diagram Circle

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You're most welcome. You can get a set of all four mounts on eBay for $80 free-ship. I used a set of this brand on my '04 beater, which had bad mounts when I bought it. They fit right and are still fine after 2+ years of use:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While replacing the motor mounts reduced engine vibration, it did not move the axle away from the power steering line. I finally had a chance to see what a proper set up looks like and discovered that my power steering line is way out of place, probably due to a previous unreported accident I recently learned of.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts