Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2002, 2005, 2006 ALTIMA, SENTRA; VOLUNTARY RECALL CAMPAIGN ECM REPROGRAM (2.5L)
Nissan has determined that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in some 2002 and 2005-2006 model year Nissan Altima and Sentra vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine. On some of these vehicles there is a possibility that the engine might stop running while being driven due to the program in the Electronic Control Module (engine computer). If the engine stops running while driving, this could result in a crash without warning. To prevent this potential condition, Nissan is conducting a Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign to reprogram the Electronic Control Module.

2002-2005 NISSAN ALTIMA, 2004-2005 MAXIMA; VOLUNTARY SERVICE CAMPAIGN REAR SUSPENSION MEMBER REPLACEMENT / BUSHING REPLACEMENT AND SEALING
On some model year 2002-2005 Nissan Altima and 2004-2005 Nissan Maxima vehicles, there is a possibility that corrosion of the rear sub-frame may occur. Corrosion is most likely in cold climates where heavy salting of roads is common practice in freezing conditions. A mixture of road salt and water can promote corrosion in the rear sub-frame bushings of some vehicles. In severe cases, cracking of the rear sub-frame may occur, which may result in a knocking noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The performance or handling characteristics of the vehicle are not affected and it is safe to drive the vehicle.

2005 NISSAN ALTIMA; VOLUNTARY SERVICE CAMPAIGN ALTIMA TIRE REPLACEMENT
Nissan has determined that some 2005 Altimas may have a tire vibration or ride harshness condition. To correct this condition, Nissan is conducting a service campaign to replace the tires on these vehicles. For all vehicles in this population (you must confirm using Service Comm) the tires (except spare) must be replaced.

2005 NISSAN ALTIMA, MAXIMA; VOLUNTARY SERVICE CAMPAIGN AIR BAG WARNING LIGHT
On some model year 2005 Maxima and Altima vehicles, the Air Bag Warning Light may flash even though the air bag systems it monitors are operating properly. To prevent this condition, Nissan has initiated a Voluntary Service Campaign to replace the Passenger Air Bag Status Light Control Circuit which is causing this to happen.​

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
Just edited the title and stuck the thread, so anyone can contribute to the list of recalls for the third generation altima.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
isnt there a recall on the precat ?
Nope. They say there wasn't enough vehicles. But they are aware of it and if it happens depending on miles, dealership, and how much you want to complain you might be able to get them to pay for it. It's s long shot though so don't count on it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I cant say there is a recall but when I called the stealership the other day ref a question about CATs they guy told me they bumped up the warrant to 150,000 miles. I was already at 160,000 so I didnt fit that either way. This may be something to look into.

·
Registered
6 Posts
So there is NOT a recall on the pre-cat? I've been looking for new headers to just eliminate the problem altogether. But that just causes another problem since I'm in CA :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm hoping for a recall for rust issues other than the rear subframe, here's my story.

A nice rep with Nissan Regional Consumer Affairs says that unfortunately my warranty doesn't cover rust after 5 years. I must presume to have been negligent in the maintenance of my car or Nissan would at least consider helping with the cost to repair? The only problem I have with that assumption is that everything on my car is still like new except premature rusting through the floorboards on both the Driver's side and Passenger side of my 2005 Altima 3.5 SE with 67,000 mi! I explained I've diligently maintained this vehicle with the hopes of it lasting for years based on the reputation of imported cars. It's been garaged during most inclement weather since I have an old beater pickup to drive in the snow or rain. I explained how shocked I was when I saw all the complaints, forums, and blogs regarding this issue. There seems to be a problem either with the material (Durasteel) or the manufacturing process of all the Gen 3 and 4 Altimas that allows water to infiltrate between the metal on the floorboards causing premature rust through. There are plastic plugs that apparently become dislodged or are not installed correctly. Nissan will not accept any responsibility or help with the repairs. Nissan has been required to extend the warranty on the rear subframe so they already know there is a huge issue with the metals they're using. I'm going to continue to watch as I anticipate a class-action lawsuit soon. Regardless, I will never own another Nissan. Buyer Beware, you may be getting a "Flintstone" mobile! Especially in the Snowbelt states...Google "Altima Rust" if your still seriously considering throwing your money away.
If you're another unfortunate soul facing a costly repair, please call Nissan Consumer Affairs @ 800-647-7261 8-5 in your timezone and let them know they have a problem. Right now they've "never heard of this before!" :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
So, I just purchased my 02 Altima and I notice the knocking coming from the rear of the car. It doesn't seem to be a huge problem but I don't want to find out the hard way. So, with the recall on the subframe do you think my car will be eligible for repair if I take it to Nissan? By the way I live in Indiana so I would think my car would be covered as this is a "Salt State".

·
Registered
105 Posts
I cant say there is a recall but when I called the stealership the other day ref a question about CATs they guy told me they bumped up the warrant to 150,000 miles. I was already at 160,000 so I didnt fit that either way. This may be something to look into.
I know this is late but you are sure they told you 150k ?
I am still under that but approaching it very soon what does this cover?

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
A recall is VIN specific and doesnt matter how many times the vehicle has been bought, sold, flooded, wrecked(to a certain extent), or whatever. Its still a covered repair at NO COST to the owner.
To look up the recalls, the dealer has to do a database search on the VIN. If they claim no recalls apply, ask for the print out that shows it.
The cat conv does have a recall. There are definitely more recalls than listed. The dreaded power valve screws is one from memory. Ill dig up the rest and post tomorrow.

BTW- I can run any Nissan VIN and check its recalls. Send me your VIN, Ill run it for you.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Cool man! I'll grab my Vin in the morning. I'm curious. I already had my ecu reprogrammed under a recall.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
2002 – 2003 ALTIMA; HALOGEN HEADLAMP
GROUND PLATE KIT

CAMPAIGN ID #:
PB135
APPLIED VEHICLES:
2002 – 2003 Altima (L31)
APPLIED DATE:
Vehicles built before March 19, 2003
INTRODUCTION
Nissan has determined that on some 2002 and 2003 model year Nissan Altima vehicles, there is a possibility that a low beam Halogen headlamp bulb may fail to illuminate due to a poor ground contact.
To prevent this from occurring, Nissan is conducting a Service Campaign to inspect the headlamp assemblies and then install a halogen terminal ground plate kit and, if needed, install a new low beam halogen bulb. In a limited number of cases, the headlamp assemblymay require replacement.

VOLUNTARY RECALL CAMPAIGN ENGINE SENSORS

CAMPAIGN I.D.#
R3022 APPLIED VEHICLES:2000-03 Sentra (B15)2002 Altima (L31)2002-03 Maxima (A33)2003 Murano (Z50)2003 350Z (Z33
APPLIED ENGINES:QG18DE, QR25DE, VQ35DE

Nissan has determined that some 2000-2003 model year Nissan vehicles may have a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety. The engine might stop running while being driven if the crank position sensor or cam position sensor fails. This may also result in the "Service Engine Soon" light coming on or reduced engine power. If the engine stops running while driving, this could result in a crash without warning.

[FONT=Arial,Arial]VOLUNTARY RECALL CAMPAIGN
ALTIMA AND SENTRA QR25DE ENGINE EXHAUST PIPE HANGER PIN AND PRE-CATALYST
CAMPAIGN I.D. #
R3007, R3014, R3015, R3016, & R3017
INTRODUCTION
Nissan has determined that some 2002-2003 model year Altima and 2002-2004 model year Sentra vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine have defects that relate to motor vehicle safety. For 2002-2003 model year Altimas, there is a possibility that the exhaust pipe hanger pin may catch debris from the road that could be ignited by contact with the catalytic converter and cause a fire. In addition, for 2002-2003 model year Altimas and 2002-2004 model year Sentras, there is a possibility that certain engine operating conditions may cause damage to the pre-catalyst. Material from inside a damaged pre-catalyst could enter the engine and result in increased oil consumption. If the engine oil level is not checked on a periodic basis and drops below the low level, and the driver continues to operate the vehicle ignoring noticeable engine noise, engine damage may occur which could result in a fire
VOLUNTARY SERVICE CAMPAIGN QR25DE POWER VALVE

CAMPAIGN I.D. #:​
P5202
APPLIED VEHICLES: 2004 Sentra (B15) 2004-05 Altima (L31) INTRODUCTION

Nissan has determined that on some 2004 model year Sentra and 2004-2005 model year Altima vehicles equipped with the 2.5 liter engine there is a possibility that power valve screws located in the intake manifold may become loose. If this occurs the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may illuminate and unstable engine idling or power loss may occur.
VOLUNTARY RECALL CAMPAIGN
VOLUNTARY SERVICE CAMPAIGN
ALTIMA AND SENTRA QR25DE ENGINE OIL CONSUMPTION​

CAMPAIGN I.D. #​
PB023​
APPLIED VEHICLES:​
2006 Altima (L31), with QR25DE Engine
2006 Sentra (B15), with QR25DE Engine

Nissan has determined on some 2006 model year Nissan Altima (Sentra) vehicles
equipped with four cylinder 2.5L engines, there is a possibility of an engine compartment fire. This is caused by extremely low engine oil level resulting from higher than normal engine oil consumption due to a manufacturing problem in some engines.​
[/FONT]

·
Registered
46 Posts
I know this is late but you are sure they told you 150k ?
I am still under that but approaching it very soon what does this cover?
has anyone confirmed this mileage extension?....but isn't it also a 5 yr warranty or the mileage...whatever comes first, then you're out of luck if you still have yrs or mileage left?

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I was reading and cant find any direct confirmation that the pre cat warranty was extended. last time I asked my dealer (about a year ago) they said the doubt it was true.

but yes if its year and miles limited then if you still are under the miles but over the years you or SOL. (and vise versa)

1 - 20 of 72 Posts