Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2015 Altima 2.5 and I have a loud, rattling noise coming from under the car. I got under it the other day to find out what is going on with this noise and found a metal plate that is approximately 2-3' long, loose above the exhaust toward the front of the engine. It seems to fit the the form of the exhaust it's sitting on top of (maybe this is there to guard from heat?).

I am not sure how this became detached, or how/where it was initially attached (no weld marks on either the exhaust, or the plate that I can see/feel).

I went to the local auto store and they don't have anything, or can't find anything related to this part. I searched my factory manual and I can't find anything on this part.

I tried to take some pictures and circle the plate, and I'm attaching them to this post. Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Automotive tire Grey Synthetic rubber Hood Outdoor shoe

Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Tints and shades Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread Wheel

·
Registered
975 Posts
Those shields are tack-welded on. Nissan's recommended fix for loose ones is a stainless radiator band-clamp. Keep an eye on that flex pipe where the covering is gone, if the accordion cracks that will be spewing cat-hot exhaust gas straight at the bottom of the car. You really need a new one.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yep, like already said. Band clamps will temporarily, or permanently fix that loose heat shield! My 2010 2.5 had a couple stainless clamps on that shield. And my 2014 Frontier probably has 6 or so the entire exhaust. Nissan really is cutting corners in this area!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
975 Posts
Yep, like already said. Band clamps will temporarily, or permanently fix that loose heat shield! My 2010 2.5 had a couple stainless clamps on that shield. And my 2014 Frontier probably has 6 or so the entire exhaust. Nissan really is cutting corners in this area!
It isn't really corner-cutting, every OE that uses tack-welded shields (which is most of them) has similar problems. You can only do so much at those sorts of temperatures, eventually the tiniest flaws or differences in metal composition will cause the joint to fail. That's all fortunate for the band-clamp manufacturers, because almost nobody uses them for radiator hoses anymore.
;) :LOL:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I see it this way. My 2000 Frontier didn't have an issue. The 10 Altima did. My sons 13 Maxima? I've been cutting busted heat shield clamps, the webbing sleeve ends on the flex joints, off since 45k miles. My 14 Frontier, at 28k miles was the first! Think I've got 6 or 8 clamps holding heat shields now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those shields are tack-welded on. Nissan's recommended fix for loose ones is a stainless radiator band-clamp. Keep an eye on that flex pipe where the covering is gone, if the accordion cracks that will be spewing cat-hot exhaust gas straight at the bottom of the car. You really need a new one.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply; I appreciate it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Wow,

I think I'm going to try and find some clamps that will work before replacing it. I went to the hardware store but the hose clamps don't have notches that reach far enough (at least from the ones I bought). I'll see if I can find something that will work.

Do you remember where you got your clamps from?

Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see it this way. My 2000 Frontier didn't have an issue. The 10 Altima did. My sons 13 Maxima? I've been cutting busted heat shield clamps, the webbing sleeve ends on the flex joints, off since 45k miles. My 14 Frontier, at 28k miles was the first! Think I've got 6 or 8 clamps holding heat shields now.

Hi,

Definitely going to try and find some clamps that will fit it and go that route. If not, I guess I'll have to replace it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It isn't really corner-cutting, every OE that uses tack-welded shields (which is most of them) has similar problems. You can only do so much at those sorts of temperatures, eventually the tiniest flaws or differences in metal composition will cause the joint to fail. That's all fortunate for the band-clamp manufacturers, because almost nobody uses them for radiator hoses anymore.
;) :LOL:
Just typical hose clamps, I assume. The ones I purchased the other day didn't work (notches didn't go in far enough), but they may have been too big, so I'm going to try and find some smaller ones.

Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Nissan Altima 2.5 S. K&N cold air intake. Stillen underdrive pulley. Stillen cat back system.
14 Posts
If you really wanted to go the super inexpensive route you could even get some high temp JB Weld lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts