Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, before anyone asks, yes I have viewed all the threads on the oil pressure idle issue. Believe me been looking at this forum and other forums on this issue the past 2 days. Seems the general consensus is that it could be the oil passage seal if it isnt the pressure sensor.

Anyways I have some questions.
So far I have pulled the pan, due to an unrelated issue and have not found any gasket shavings or otherwise inside the pan, it was clean.
Noticed this oil pressure issue, started reading on the forums. Replaced the pressure sensor, have not noticed much of a difference at idle, when warm it still reads a needles width from 0 or right on 0. at 2k rpm it is about 45-50PSI and 3k is about 60-70. On the high end it seems to be normal... When it idles this low I have not noticed any warning lights come on at all. During normal driving there is not an issue.

I read in one of the many threads Ive seen over the past couple days is that it COULD be the gauge itself. Of course the only way to test this is to run a pressure test I would imagine.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Hey guys, before anyone asks, yes I have viewed all the threads on the oil pressure idle issue. Believe me been looking at this forum and other forums on this issue the past 2 days. Seems the general consensus is that it could be the oil passage seal if it isnt the pressure sensor.

Anyways I have some questions.
So far I have pulled the pan, due to an unrelated issue and have not found any gasket shavings or otherwise inside the pan, it was clean.
Noticed this oil pressure issue, started reading on the forums. Replaced the pressure sensor, have not noticed much of a difference at idle, when warm it still reads a needles width from 0 or right on 0. at 2k rpm it is about 45-50PSI and 3k is about 60-70. On the high end it seems to be normal... When it idles this low I have not noticed any warning lights come on at all. During normal driving there is not an issue.

I read in one of the many threads Ive seen over the past couple days is that it COULD be the gauge itself. Of course the only way to test this is to run a pressure test I would imagine.

Just wanting to know what everyone's thoughts are. I have a video that I took of it doing this.

youtube. com/watch?v=WyvdJO0vbBo&feature=youtu.be
Sorry to hear about your issue, wanted to check out the video but can't open that link.

·
Registered
595 Posts
My first thought would be the sensor, but you said that you replaced it. They are a bit of a pain and cheaply made, so maybe double check and make sure the wires are in tact and the sensor isn't cracked. What are the miles on the car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Low miles... 76,000 its an 06 SER auto trans. Also the connector on the oil sensor is broke, it still goes in and seats properly but the outer part that latches it to the sensor is what is broken... not sure that is the issue or not, I would think that as long as it is seated firmly it should work fine. Its only on warm idle that it shows low pressure...

·
Registered
595 Posts
As long as it stays seated in there it should not be a problem. I have a 05 ser with close to 117k and I had to replace the sensor and I also replaced the Main Timing chain tensioner, so far no more issues.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea thats what I was thinking. Anyways I just dropped it off at the shop as they can better diagnose than me, ill update the thread tmrow when they call back.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yea thats what I was thinking. Anyways I just dropped it off at the shop as they can better diagnose than me, ill update the thread tmrow when they call back.
Keep your fingers crossed. If you can get away with just the main tensioner they can get at it threw a excess plate and a hour or so in labor. If they need to get to the guide and other tensioner then its a bit more involved,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just heard back from the shop, they hooked up the pressure gauge to the motor and its reading 15psi at idle warmed up. The guy was saying that it could be the gauge that is messing up, was saying that when cold it was showing 90 psi on the gauge but with the external it was at 75 when cold. Interesting

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just heard back from the shop, they hooked up the pressure gauge to the motor and its reading 15psi at idle warmed up. The guy was saying that it could be the gauge that is messing up, was saying that when cold it was showing 90 psi on the gauge but with the external it was at 75 when cold. Interesting

mine does the same thing. I show idle just at or barely above 0. Had the blown seals, light would come on under 0. Had it tested, at idle I'm sitting just around 14PSI. Possibly the gauge itself and not the switch.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
mine does the same thing. I show idle just at or barely above 0. Had the blown seals, light would come on under 0. Had it tested, at idle I'm sitting just around 14PSI. Possibly the gauge itself and not the switch.
Did you get the seals fixed and you mean it is sitting at 14psi now? Are you saying it may by MY gauge?

Also those seals what exactly are they called?

Thanks in advance, the shop is going to check things out more on Monday as well. Ill let them know about the seals, however when I pulled the pan I did not find anything... I guess I could always run the oil through a strainer I still have it. Havent taken it in yet.,

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did you get the seals fixed and you mean it is sitting at 14psi now? Are you saying it may by MY gauge?

Also those seals what exactly are they called?

Thanks in advance, the shop is going to check things out more on Monday as well. Ill let them know about the seals, however when I pulled the pan I did not find anything... I guess I could always run the oil through a strainer I still have it. Havent taken it in yet.,
I am at 14psi at idle. The seals were fixed. Your numbers in the video look good, other than at idle, like mine. If you're hitting 15psi per the test at idle, I think you're fine. It could be that the gauge in your dash is off. It is said that those are pretty accurate, however, before I replaced those oil passage way seals ($3000 fix) my gauge in the dash dropped to the post before the light came on...I think the gauge might be off at idle....

The only other option I can think of would be worn bearings....

Oh and I'm not sure what the seals are called and since you dont have any pcs in your pan, combined with your numbers at 2K RPM's, I don't think you are suffering from the blown seals

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well, it wasn't just the seals for me, also water pump, timing chain tensioners and guide rails, oil pan, quite a bit, typical for the seals is 1100-1500 or so Ive heard....

·
Registered
353 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way but I HATE these threads. I don't understand why the very first thing people do isn't check the actual pressure?! If you had done that first you would have learned that your pressure is right where it's supposed to be. That gauge on the dash is little more than aesthetic so I have no idea where anyone would hear that it was pretty accurate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Please don't take this the wrong way but I HATE these threads. I don't understand why the very first thing people do isn't check the actual pressure?! If you had done that first you would have learned that your pressure is right where it's supposed to be. That gauge on the dash is little more than aesthetic so I have no idea where anyone would hear that it was pretty accurate.
Like I had said I had THOROUGHLY Researched this before I even made the thread. I read countless posts from people saying that the gauge is accurate within 1-2 PSI or dead on no consensus on this btw. This forum doesnt seem to have as much activity as the other nissan forums do where I read most of the stuff.

I see where you are coming from but on the other side this is very nerve wracking to deal with. And for my issue I have read nothing affirming anything either way.

On a side note I just installed the new gauge... It is now still exhibiting the same symptoms but its reading LOWER at idle. No oil light at all...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Like I had said I had THOROUGHLY Researched this before I even made the thread. I read countless posts from people saying that the gauge is accurate within 1-2 PSI or dead on no consensus on this btw. This forum doesnt seem to have as much activity as the other nissan forums do where I read most of the stuff.

I see where you are coming from but on the other side this is very nerve wracking to deal with. And for my issue I have read nothing affirming anything either way.

On a side note I just installed the new gauge... It is now still exhibiting the same symptoms but its reading LOWER at idle. No oil light at all...
You're not the only one who's been told they are pretty accurate. As long as you tested and its within the norms and your light doesn't come on, I wouldn't worry about it...

·
Registered
353 Posts
Ok, here's a more specific reason as to why I hate these threads since I think you may have missed my point. There was no reason for it to even be started. If you had done what you should have done, instead of post first, you would know that there was no real reason for the post in the first place. Your oil pressure is fine. I understand that the gauge can be unsettling but if you had thoroughly researched this, as you claim, you would see that there have been TONS of pictures showing the gauge needle at different low locations. So you can understand why I think it's funny for anyone to claim that a gauge that only has a couple numbers to begin with can be accurate to within 1-2 psi.

The bottom line is that anyone who feels they have a low pressure should immediately take it to a garage to have the actual pressure checked or, if they're capable, check it themselves. That's step one and the numbers are... 14psi at idle while warm and 43psi at 2k.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts