Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have an 03 Altima and its about to be on its 4th transmission. Getting them put in at shops is starting to get a bit too much for me at $2,400 each time. I've decided I'm going to do this one on my own. Will any 3rd gen trans bolt up? and how hard is swapping them out?

·
Registered
951 Posts
I have to say if you're asking those questions you shouldn't attempt it. That is not a job for the novice. If it were me I'd want to know why I keep loosing transmissions.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
^ was going to say the same thing. 4trans is alot.

maybe tell us why you think its failing? what symptoms are you having? the auto on the 3rd gens have alot of quirks that one might assume is an issue with it failing but its just normal, like the random downshifts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done transmissions before, but it's always been on older american cars :p its a 3.5 just hit 160k ;) first trans was at 50k, second at 104k and the current one was put in at 136k. They dont seem to last me too long haha

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
right now the car has to be manually shifted. I can't just put it in drive. but even then it feels like a roasted clutch in a m/t. it slips in all gears except 4th. well.. I got mad at it and railed the gas pedal, it slipped until it hit 5k rpms and then caught and roasted some tires.. dont think that was too good for it :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every trans I've been through has needed shift sensors shortly before the trans goes out completely. Anyone know what could be causing this? When this one started slipping I did the drop resistor mod. it helped for about 2k miles, then went right back to slipping

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
Are they new units? Judging from the miles in between replacements, id guess.... no? Your car comes with the Aisin 5 speed. Unfortunately, it isn't the most reliable, but 4 in 160? Do you have any engine codes stored? For some unknown reason(seriously. We have no idea why), if the bank one camshaft sensor is beginning to fail/ already failed, it will put the transmission in a failsafe condition and if its left like that for too long, it will destroy the trans.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe they were rebuilt transmissions and hmm.. i dont know if its throwin any codes right now. i'll have to get that checked out. you think that could've been the cause of all these trannys??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts