Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought a 2014 4cylinder today and wondering if there are things we need to look for or issues/problems they have. I do wanna put some better headlights in it so I'll gladly take recommendations for those.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
See this thread about your headlights before you replace them:

The biggest single thing you need to do is keep the CVT fluid clean. Don't know how many miles your new ride has, but if it has more than 30K and you don't have records from the previous owner, change it immediately. If the tech finds brown fluid instead of greenish-bluish, change it again after a few thousand to make sure the crud is gone. Think about the way a CVT operates, a metal belt on metal pulleys. With no clutches or bands to wear out, it's a perpetual motion machine if you feed it clean fluid. We have one Murano customer at our dealership pushing 500K, but the car has had clean fluid every 30K like a religion since the day it was new. Don't worry about the conventional "dirty fluid" problems with old fluid in regular trannies, CVT's don't crud-up like an AT because they have almost no ablative parts. But if the fluid is any shade of brown, get it out of there quickly. Once it's clean, every 25K if you're a leadfoot, 40K if you drive like grandma (shear loading is the primary fluid-killer). We all wish the NS fluids were cheaper, but believe me, keep it clean and a CVT will fail you never.

If you bought it from a new car dealer, then all the recalls should be done. If you bought it from a private party or a used-only lot, visit a Nissan dealer and have them run a service record. The 14's had recalls for CVT programming (TCM), passenger airbag sensors (OCS), hood latches, and Navi programming (if it has one).

This goes for all Nissans, but check-check-check your battery terminals. The plating Nissan uses on the lugs has a tendency to turn into the "green rock candy mountains" when un-tended, and the electronics can suffer badly from high resistance, especially on the negative side. Protect them with anodizing terminal paint, the "wet pads" they sell at the parts store don't work well. If the plating on the positive terminal is completely gone, don't use a part store terminal, a new replacement that fits right is only $13 at the dealer.

Hope this helps, welcome to Altima-land!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wheew,that's slot. Lol. It was bought from a good friend who has had it about 3 or so years. It has 120,000 on it. Guess I should have researched before I bought one. I just read that the 5th gens were prone to tranny failure. That's great. I thought Nissan was very reliable but seems their sales have taken a hit as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The problem isn't really the CVT's, it's not encouraging proper care and feeding. You wouldn't expect an engine to last long with 50K oil change intervals, and the CVT is metal on metal, no different in some ways than a cylinder sleeve. My personal feeling, not speaking for Nissan, is that if Nissan down-costed the fluid by about $10 and encouraged changing it, there would be no "bad rap" on CVT's. Like I said, they're perpetual motion machines. I'll be plain peeved if my '13 doesn't make 250K.

With that many miles and unknown maintenance, have a dealer check your TCM for "judder codes" in addition to running the service record. If it doesn't have any codes, and if it's already had the TCM firmware recall, then it isn't too late. Change the fluid as suggested and quit worrying. The purpose of the recall was to add judder diagnostics to trannies that didn't have it, so if there was no recall then the tranny could be shot but not show it on a scan. Judder is basically belt-slip, so if it does have judder codes, you'll probably have issues. The bottom line is, if it didn't have the recall, or if it does have codes, consider ditching it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Damn,not what I was hoping to hear. Lol. I'm in a really small town but I believe there is a Nissan dealer about 2 hrs away. Hell I prob can't afford to have them even check though. She really took care of it so I'm hoping she had the recall. I'll ask tomorrow.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you like, shoot me your VIN and I can pull up your service record in ASIST. If someone in town has a high-end SnapOn or Mac scanner it will detect the judder codes, but probably won't be able to interpret them. I can do that for you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that offer. Wife just brought it home last night so today I'll check the fluid. Also the PO bought it at 22,000 and told my wife she took it to a dealer once or twice so I'm hoping it was for the recall...🤞🤞🤞. I'm gonna ask for more detail on that and report back here..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am ashamed to say I tried for 10 minutes to get the tranny dipstick out and couldn't.Lol. Why the F would they make one so damn stupid??? Anyway I'll get it out tomorrow and check the fluid...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sorry to say there's no dipstick on a '14, that's a blind plug. The plug has a pawl you can relieve by sticking a pocketknife or thin screwdriver behind the retainer, but they're usually stuck pretty hard and you may need a channellocks to work it free even with the pawl relieved. Once it's out you can snake a coathanger down there to get a fluid condition sample, but you can't check the level. Let the sample spread out on clean, white printing paper to get a look at the color and see if there's any metal flakes. As for the recalls, you're free to PM me if you don't want everyone here to know your VIN.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea I worked on it with a screwdriver but couldn't get it off. I saw a video of a 12 and it had a stick attached to that plug. How the hell does Nissan think a man can check the level? After all I've been reading on a couple of these forums I wish the hell I had researched and I would not have bought this thing. I told the wife we should go with another Honda CRV but she had to have the damn Altima..Lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
They discontinued the stick in '13. There's a trick to get the level right easily when changing it, and a Nissan dealer will have a "special tool" dipstick that can be used if necessary. Not speaking for Nissan, but I get the feeling they simply don't want people DIYing it. I can understand that, overfilling a CVT or using the wrong fluid can be nearly as destructive as running it dry. Believe it or not, even one teaspoon of regular Dex 6 can wipe a CVT out. Saw it happen with one of the older models, a guy "checked his level" at a gas station and put just a few drops of Dex in before somebody stopped him who knew better. It was still a few drops too many, the valve body was malfunctioning inside of a week and the warranty was void.

·
Registered
35 Posts
PS - Like I said, it's really a care-and-feeding issue. I probably would've warned you off this particular car myself, but not off one that was well-maintained or new. The CVT is a truly beautiful machine, it just can't be treated like a regular AT.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got it from my wife's co worker. She has had it about 4 yrs and she has had no issues whatsoever. Hopefully that continues..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Crossing my fingers and toes for you. If that recall wasn't done already, get it ASAP. At least if there's trouble coming, you'll get some warning.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Sure, recalls are forever. Doesn't matter how old the car or the recall are, if the car is still on the road then the recall has to be done. In fact, we can get in big trouble with DOT/NHTSA if we run a service record that shows recalls and we don't advise the customer and offer to do them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I should add, the judder DTC's won't turn on the MIL and won't show up in a regular OBD-II engine scan. The scanner has to be able to read the TCM (transmission controller). If the recall hasn't been done previously, drive a few thou after they do it to give the TCM time for diagnosis, then get it read with an appropriate scan tool.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Okay, ASIST says it's had all the recalls done. The hood latch and OCS were done way back at 39677 miles on 11/7/16, for some reason the TCM wasn't done until 106593 on 7/9/19. But it does have judder logic, so you just need to see if there any codes. There are two judder DTC's, P17F1 and P17F0. F1 generally means it isn't too late, it will need a valve body and new fluid but there's no detectable belt damage yet. We call F0 the "death code", it generally means there's belt and/or pulley damage and it needs new ones at least (rebuild) or possibly a new trans.

·
Registered
35 Posts
PS - There is one outstanding recall, R20A7, but you can't get it done yet. My car has it too. Apparently Nissan plans to replace all the hood latches (again), but there are no parts available yet. Why they issued the documents at all without parts in the supply chain, I haven't the foggiest idea. You should get a notice when there's an actual repair to make.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts