Nissan Altima Forum banner

New member in Fargo w issues

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  John03Altima 
#1 ·
Hello to all!
Just bought a really high mileage but cosmetically nice 03 2.5SL. It is dark silver w black leather int, heated seats and sunroof. She has 260,000 miles and runs really rough. Flashing check engine light also. No, Im not crazy... It was $600 and I figure if its a basket case Ill try to part it out. I love the body style and I like a challenge so here I am. Got it home and cleaned the engine bay a bit. Air filter and air box were nasty. Hoped to find bad vacuum line but all intact except the mysterious canister below the brake fluid reservoir. Engine codes at this point are P0037, P0138 and P0300. No water in the oil or vice versa and no excessive exhaust smoke. Guessing 02 sensor and fouled plugs or bad injectors??? Any help would be appreciated. Other rides in the garage include an 03 Merc Marauder w 140k miles thats got a few mods and runs 14.25 in the quarter and a pair of Windstars. The Altima will be wifes daily driver if it gets sorted out. Hope its warmer where you are than here in Fargo :)

#2 ·
Welcome to AF, John! Congrats on your recent purchase but sorry to hear about the problems. Try taking a peak in the QR25DE and 3rd Generation forums for more information on the codes and issues.

Good luck!

#4 ·
Thanks for the good info! Relieved to see so many using the aftermarket header to get rid of the precat time bomb and happy to see low prices on parts and mods for these cars. My daily driver when its not like Siberia up here is an 03 Marauder and a set of headers starts at about a grand. Gonna start digging into the 2.5L tomorrow starting with plugs I think. What about a slow drip of seafoam? Have used it in the past when I worked At a used car lot many moons ago. The consensus here seems to not advise it. Is there a thread on the more common problems people encounter w high mileage 2.5's?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.