Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Altima owners This is my first post and I already somehow screwed up the spelling of my user name..:rolleyes: I recently bought a 2012 Hertz rent to buy Altima 2.5 S out at the Sacramento air port a couple weeks ago. Like many here on these forums I love the body style of these cars and I thought the price was pretty reasonable at 13,650.00 with exactly 29k. The cars body is in excellent shape besides a few suit case scuffs near the trunk on the rear bumper. (fixable) Interior is charcoal and is simply plush.

I've been reading the forum for a few days now and I did see a thread about the exhaust smell coming through the vents through searching Google but when I signed up here to comment I searched for that thread and Ill be da*&d if I could find the thread. I am very capable of this kind of brain malfunction. lol

So the smell only appears when I have the vent fan on without the a/c on and it does smell like carbon from the exhaust. Its not real bad but it is there. Has anybody ever resolved of what exactly the problem or smell is and what the fix was ? I read one of the posts in a thread that its some kind of coating that heats up under the hood and delivers this odar ? this is understandable to me beings it only appears when the fan is on. Just looking for closure on this issue I guess but input and any other experiances and info whould be appricated.

My next question is,, has anyone noticed that it takes a while for the A/C to cool the car off ? Does anyone know how cold the air should come out of the vents when the air is at its coldest point with max air on ? I was thinking putting a thermometer in the vent and check it out if I knew the temp standard. The car does get cool but not cold like my 2000 Ford Taurus..lol

Lastly. So taking off in drive (not manually shifting) I don't just romp on the throttle I kinda gently move forward not to slow and not romping and the car seems to go through the cycle of gears pretty quickly. It don't slip at all but just runs through the gears if I'm not pressuring the throttle from a stop. Is this the process with the Altima ? The CV Transmisson ? Or should I start reading my warranty contract :D. I'm not going to go into a full tail spin do to recently reading about the transmissions on the 2011 & 12's & their 60k warranty appose to the 07 through 09 or 10. I fell in love with this type of car and IMO the Altima 11 & 12 is the sharpest thing on the road today but im really starting getting use to the 13 body style quickly:doh: lol.. Something about the back drop on these cars is pretty cool and is what I like best about them.

Sorry for being so long winded on my first post. I hope the Altima God Fathers here can help the newbee out a little with my questions. and if any other info is needed to answer some of my questions id be glad to post it up. I tried posting pics but I don't have enough posts yet so I will later. Thanks for all Info ive collected already from reading on the site and I to hope to also contribute in the future.. Thanks again

Bareassmeagain

·
Premium Member
11,754 Posts
Not sure about the smell from the vents. Is it constant or just when you start the car and drive up to temperature?

A/C should be cool enough to numb your fingers a little when you hold them over the vent. If it's a really hot day it will take a while to cool off the black vents.

The cvt is an odd beast. It is a gearless system that constantly adjusts gear ratios depending on throttle input, speed, etc. What you've explained there doesn't sound like anything too far out of the ordinary. If you have any concerns about it though, I may have the dealer take it for a spin to be sure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Altima

Thanks Mikejames. The A/C wont numb fingers but It has been pretty hot here latley and it does get comfortably cool but like I say my 2000 Ford gets COLD.

Ive only driven the car about 300 miles so far and will keep monitoring this smell through the vents situation. Though Ive smelt it both on freeway and in town with the A/C off & fan on.

I think the trani is like you say. It seems almost hydrostatic like so we will see.

Thanks for your input

BAMA

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hurtz Roseville

thats crazy i bought mine from the hertz in roseville lol
Ha ha thats funny, I bought a 2010 Camry for my wife in 2011 from Roseville. I think the guy was Mike or Jim cant quite remember. It was when all the BS was going on with Toyota brakes whitch I didnt fall for and ended up with a good car and deal. Good Going !

I had AAA Ins when I bought the Altima and it saved me 250.00 off the top but absolutly no negotiations otherwise. Did you get them to budge at all ?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2012 Altima

Thats a good price Nate Plus you got a 1yr 12,000 mile hertz warrenty buying it from the dealer. Yeah they dont budge on the prices much because you can't find them cheaper anywhere else. In the Sac area at least. Buying the rent to buy I only got the 2 month 2,000 mile warrenty plus whats left on the factory warrenty. Im not one to need allot in uprgades but I do wish It had a power front drivers seat. Here's a few pics I took last night. ya seen one you've seen em all lol

Oh I posted a pic of the rear bumper scuffs and paint chips from luggage. Ive applied wd40 with a cloth and it took away some of the scuffs but some dont want to go away. Any ideas ? The WD worked great removing road tar on the bottom railings also. Today ill apply soap & water with 0000 steel wool to the outer windows to get the hotwax off from the drive through washers. then wash and a good wax..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Nice! Yea after taxes the car was 15,100 + 900ish extended warranty (5 years) from my bank since I did rent 2 buy (2 month warranty). I gave it a good wash and wax after I took it back to the dealership to get some light scratches removed. That's a 30 day deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Bareassmeaga said:
So the smell only appears when I have the vent fan on without the a/c on and it does smell like carbon from the exhaust. Its not real bad but it is there. Has anybody ever resolved of what exactly the problem or smell is and what the fix was ? I read one of the posts in a thread that its some kind of coating that heats up under the hood and delivers this odar ? this is understandable to me beings it only appears when the fan is on. Just looking for closure on this issue I guess but input and any other experiances and info whould be appricated.
I'm having the same problem. I think it's a wet a/c filter but I haven't had a chance to verify.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello, Today I had my windows tinted and thought id share a few pics of forest white with tint. The back and two rear windows are 20% and front is 30. I think id be happier with it all at 20 and all evenly matching but I am happy with the final results & hopfully the cops will leave me alone since there is a slight differance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm having the same problem. I think it's a wet a/c filter but I haven't had a chance to verify.
This is probably pretty close to the answer. There are a few different part numbers for the Gen 4 and Gen 4.5 Altima cabin air filters. They will interchange easily as far as installation goes. But the one specifically listed for the Gen 4.5 has a Charcoal (black rock-ish) media in the filter element. I noticed a weird smell in my 2012 when I swapped out the cabin air filter and accidentally ordered the one for the Gen 4. The Gen 4 filter is like an other non-OE cabin air filter and is simply a woven cloth/paper filter.

I am assuming that the charcoal or whatever extra medium that is present on the Gen 4.5 filter is the answer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Foul Odor blowing into Cabin from A/C

In March of 2012 I purchased a new Altima 2.5. I drive on average 200 miles a week during the summer. I take the car in for oil changes and maintenance checks regularly. This past July/August, when my a/c was on I started to smell an odor that smelled like mildew sometimes. Often times, it smelled like moisture or spoiled food. I searched within my car couldn't find any source. However, I suspected I must have a water leak some place. Sometimes when I am driving on the highway in the rain I heard water tapping as if there was a leak on the passenger side. I took the car to the dealership and while getting an oil change I requested the check the sunroof for leaks. I was told by the service advisor that they didn't find anything. They "suggested" I change the cabin filter. I changed the cabin filter! However, now (a week later) doctors found that I have a mycobacterium lung infection!!! I have spent six days in the hospital in isolation! My doctors believe that I inhaled it from in my car because it is a confined space, and the contaminated filter or a/c system blows directly at you while you are driving. If the a/c isn't functioning properly or there's moisture that can create serious respiratory problems! So, now I have a fairly new vehicle and I can't drive it! I feel Nissan should have been more proactive. I have bought my car in more than 8 times for service and/or maintenance checks! Very disappointing. If you start to smell something strange in your Altima get it checked right away. Your health could be at risk!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have had some serious health problems. It's not unheard of to have mold, mildew or whatever in your A/C system. And it can cause bigger problems for some people than for others.

The A/C system can develop just the right factors and conditions to become a breeding ground for mold and mildew. The cold coil make condensation right out of the air that passes over it. The higher the humidity where you drive, the more condensation is produced. That's the way A/C works and condensation means it's working right. The system is designed to drain that all away but it can become clogged under certain conditions. If you see a trail of drops right after you pull in and shut down in your driveway or maybe a puddle if the car have been standing with the A/C on, that's a good sign. It's working right.

A number of factors can add up to a system that is prone to clog the drain, such as local humidity, a lot of short trips, dusty conditions, debris from trees where you park, etc. Once any mold gets a start, it can combine with any airborne dust and clog the drain that much quicker. At the first sign of any "smells" it's a good idea to squirt some Lysol spray into the intake of the A/C system while the A/C is turned on to discourage or eliminate the mold. In extreme cases where the drain is completely clogged, the water can build up and drip down onto the floorboard under the dash area.

Should the dealer service people have inspected and "fixed" any mold issues? Yea, probably but let's face it. It doesn't always happen. The test is a simple one, park the car, run the A/C and look for the puddle after a few minutes. Smells moldy? Spray Lysol. If you brought the car in just for the A/C smells and they charged you for it on an invoice, you have cause to hold them responsible. But if you brought it in for "routine maintenance" and just had a verbal opinion, at no charge added, that they didn't find an A/C problem, the fault begins to swing more toward the owner. Because you, as the driver, know what's normal for your car and know you smell something that isn't right, but they didn't "notice" any problem. Bottom line, it's up to you to insist or get another opinion.

·
Premium Member
11,754 Posts
In March of 2012 I purchased a new Altima 2.5. I drive on average 200 miles a week during the summer. I take the car in for oil changes and maintenance checks regularly. This past July/August, when my a/c was on I started to smell an odor that smelled like mildew sometimes. Often times, it smelled like moisture or spoiled food. I searched within my car couldn't find any source. However, I suspected I must have a water leak some place. Sometimes when I am driving on the highway in the rain I heard water tapping as if there was a leak on the passenger side. I took the car to the dealership and while getting an oil change I requested the check the sunroof for leaks. I was told by the service advisor that they didn't find anything. They "suggested" I change the cabin filter. I changed the cabin filter! However, now (a week later) doctors found that I have a mycobacterium lung infection!!! I have spent six days in the hospital in isolation! My doctors believe that I inhaled it from in my car because it is a confined space, and the contaminated filter or a/c system blows directly at you while you are driving. If the a/c isn't functioning properly or there's moisture that can create serious respiratory problems! So, now I have a fairly new vehicle and I can't drive it! I feel Nissan should have been more proactive. I have bought my car in more than 8 times for service and/or maintenance checks! Very disappointing. If you start to smell something strange in your Altima get it checked right away. Your health could be at risk!
Yikes. That is some scary stuff.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The A/C system can develop just the right factors and conditions to become a breeding ground for mold and mildew. The cold coil make condensation right out of the air that passes over it. The higher the humidity where you drive, the more condensation is produced. That's the way A/C works and condensation means it's working right. The system is designed to drain that all away but it can become clogged under certain conditions. If you see a trail of drops right after you pull in and shut down in your driveway or maybe a puddle if the car have been standing with the A/C on, that's a good sign. It's working right.
Note to self: Check for puddles...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to hear that you have had some serious health problems. It's not unheard of to have mold, mildew or whatever in your A/C system. And it can cause bigger problems for some people than for others.

A number of factors can add up to a system that is prone to clog the drain, such as local humidity, a lot of short trips, dusty conditions, debris from trees where you park, etc. Once any mold gets a start, it can combine with any airborne dust and clog the drain that much quicker. At the first sign of any "smells" it's a good idea to squirt some Lysol spray into the intake of the A/C system while the A/C is turned on to discourage or eliminate the mold. In extreme cases where the drain is completely clogged, the water can build up and drip down onto the floorboard under the dash area.

Should the dealer service people have inspected and "fixed" any mold issues? Yea, probably but let's face it. It doesn't always happen. The test is a simple one, park the car, run the A/C and look for the puddle after a few minutes. Smells moldy? Spray Lysol. If you brought the car in just for the A/C smells and they charged you for it on an invoice, you have cause to hold them responsible. But if you brought it in for "routine maintenance" and just had a verbal opinion, at no charge added, that they didn't find an A/C problem, the fault begins to swing more toward the owner. Because you, as the driver, know what's normal for your car and know you smell something that isn't right, but they didn't "notice" any problem. Bottom line, it's up to you to insist or get another opinion.
So, I took the Altima to an independent service shop and they found mold spores in the tubing, the condensation unit had standing water with mold in it as well behind and under the glove box. Although the a/c was draining while running - not all of the water was draining. Some of it was getting caught up in the tubing. The mechanic told me that his wife's Nissan Armada had a similar problem of growing mold. He also said that in his opinion it is a design flaw. So, changing the cabin filter isn't a solution in and of itself. He said it will be an ongoing problem that would have to be watched during periods of high a/c usage. I took the car back to Nissan and I called their customer relations department as well.

·
Registered
73 Posts
He also said that in his opinion it is a design flaw. So, changing the cabin filter isn't a solution in and of itself. He said it will be an ongoing problem that would have to be watched during periods of high a/c usage. I took the car back to Nissan and I called their customer relations department as well.
If it is a design flaw, it could potentially represent a significant liability issue to Nissan. I hope your case is investigated thoroughly.

IANAL

·
Registered
239 Posts
When you use your AC......about 2 or 3 mins BEFORE you get to your destination TURN OFF the AC and turn on your blower motor to just blow incoming air through the vents from the OUTSIDE.

This helps dry out the tubes and helps prevent the tubes from smelling moldy.

I do this to ALL my cars and NEVER have a problem with musty/moldy smells coming from the vents.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When you use your AC......about 2 or 3 mins BEFORE you get to your destination TURN OFF the AC and turn on your blower motor to just blow incoming air through the vents from the OUTSIDE.

This helps dry out the tubes and helps prevent the tubes from smelling moldy.

I do this to ALL my cars and NEVER have a problem with musty/moldy smells coming from the vents.
Amen! As I started w/ blowing my A/c when it was getting warmer and I'm embarrassed to say I forgot to put on my circulation button! You see my older two 2006 Altimas all you had to do was to put A/C MAX button on and the circulation automatically came on. I honestly thought I may have caused damage running the a/c w,/ vent on. Now I've been running the a/c full blast w/ yes members w/ the circulation button on. Now I am thinking what a great ideas to take a break and run the outside vent for a few minutes. It makes complete sense to dry those hoses out. Ty

1 - 20 of 21 Posts