Nissan Altima Forum banner
21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
335 Posts
Hello Altima owners This is my first post and I already somehow screwed up the spelling of my user name..:rolleyes: I recently bought a 2012 Hertz rent to buy Altima 2.5 S out at the Sacramento air port a couple weeks ago. Like many here on these forums I love the body style of these cars and I thought the price was pretty reasonable at 13,650.00 with exactly 29k. The cars body is in excellent shape besides a few suit case scuffs near the trunk on the rear bumper. (fixable) Interior is charcoal and is simply plush.

Lastly. So taking off in drive (not manually shifting) I don't just romp on the throttle I kinda gently move forward not to slow and not romping and the car seems to go through the cycle of gears pretty quickly. It don't slip at all but just runs through the gears if I'm not pressuring the throttle from a stop. Is this the process with the Altima ? The CV Transmisson ? Or should I start reading my warranty contract :D. I'm not going to go into a full tail spin do to recently reading about the transmissions on the 2011 & 12's & their 60k warranty appose to the 07 through 09 or 10.

Sorry for being so long winded on my first post. I hope the Altima God Fathers here can help the newbee out a little with my questions. and if any other info is needed to answer some of my questions id be glad to post it up. I tried posting pics but I don't have enough posts yet so I will later. Thanks for all Info ive collected already from reading on the site and I to hope to also contribute in the future.. Thanks again
Here's some advise that's worth mentioning:
Since you car already has 29,000 mi, now is a good time to perform a CVT drain/fill. To enhance longevity, the CVT fluid should always be replaced every 30,000 mi. When the fluid stays in too long, the chemical properties of the fluid get compromised and it can no longer provide the unique frictional properties required that's so needed between the steel belt and the cones. The fluid has two great enemies, overheated fluid is one of them caused by excessive jack-rabbit starts, pulling a heavy load, being stuck in snow trying to get out, etc. The other is shearing force generated by normal operation of the belt, which increases on hills or with a load. This gradually breaks down and shortens the long-chain molecules that have the unique frictional properties required for the belt. You can generally deduce that by looking at the fluid; if it's very dark brown and has a burnt odor, it's shot! Anybody who believes the advertising about "lifetime fluid" is doomed to a dead tranny around 100K, maybe less.

Very important note - Whoever services the CVT for a drain/fill, make sure that the fluid is not overfull. Not even just a little bit; better to be underfull a little bit. An overfull condition will cause the fluid to foam thereby losing it's lubricating function and causing a very early "death" of the CVT.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts