Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new here, it's after midnight and i'm working on my friend's 98 Altima.

A couple months ago I replaced the upper water hose because it was leaking.

A month ago I replaced the radiator because it was cracked on top.

This week I replaced the water pump because it was leaking. Afterward, here's what's happened:

I didn't do any bleeding the first time around; I just filled it up. It was getting hot and the water started boiling. The heat blows out cold, the lower hose remains cold, the fans do not turn on. If I turn on the a/c the fans turn on. The temp gauge gradually rises to overheating after 10 minutes of idling.

I replaced the thermostat thinking it was bad and replaced the radiator cap too just in case. No dice. Well, maybe I did the thermostat backwards since I didn't get to see it when I took it off. Yep, so I put it back on and this time I bled the system. When I put it back on I put the spring towards the block, away from the radiator, and the jiggle valve up top. Same problem exactly still.

I have not had a jack to lift the front so maybe it has more air but I've been bleeding from the valve above the thermostat.

Again, cold lower hose, no fans, no heat, heater hoses aren't really hot at all (they're hot a little by where they connect near the thermostat housing, but that may be from their location, ya know).

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance, I'm just trying to save her some $$$$

-Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
update here for anyone who might search later:

the problem was that i had routed the belt backwards! it works either way, unfortunately, and this car has no belt routing diagram on it.

be very careful with that!

cheers,

Steve

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Good people in the forum . :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts