Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks. Always received help from this club and appreciate everyone's positive reactions. Recently my 75,000 Altima had a little problem going up a hill @my Dad's house.( I chalked it up as it was cold that morning about 50 degrees and didn't let her warm up all the way). Then leaving his home I had to go down about a 4 mile mountain. I noticed a slight burning smell coming in thru the vents. I automatically stopped, left the car running and checked the tranny dipstick. Could barely see a reading. So I added yes the Nissan 2 CVT green fluid. Checked it again(but did not shut the car off). Everything looked good ( no lights came on/ temp gauge was not hot). Drove 1.5 hours home. Within a week of short distances decided to check the fluid level while warm(close to operating temps) once again had to add tranny fluid. Please help I'm the 2nd owner on my baby. Yes when I bought her at 66,00 took it to Nissan dealer and had transmission fluid CHANGED. Technician SAID EVERYTHING WAS FINE AND EVEN DROVE IT. Unsure as if know??????? Thank you!!!!

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I dunno about approval, but your trans has to be leaking somewhere to be losing any fluid. Trans fluid doesn't gradually evaporate over a period of years like coolant or refrigerant. If it's low, the fluid is going somewhere.

Having to add it a second time could be because of that, or you may have had some air in the system. When you add fluid, you should run the shifter back and forth several times and then drive a little before calling it good. That makes sure any bubbles in the system are purged.

Your performance problem may be the tranny going into "self protection" from the fluid overheating. I don't know if you've ever changed it besides the 66K, but if not then you should. 66K was already way overdue, so another change to get rid of some more old fluid would be a good idea. Keep changing it at 30K mile intervals. To find out if the problem was an overheat, you need to scan the CVT-A/CVT-B values from your trans controller (TCM). If you have a 'Droid phone, the cheap out is to buy a VeePeak VP11 bluetooth-OBD adaptor to plug into your scanner port, then download a copy of the CVTz50 app. Go to "CVT Information" in the app and the CVT-A/CVT-B values will be displayed. Both should be zero, if not then your problem was most likely a hot tranny.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dunno about approval, but your trans has to be leaking somewhere to be losing any fluid. Trans fluid doesn't gradually evaporate over a period of years like coolant or refrigerant. If it's low, the fluid is going somewhere. Having to add it a second time could be because of that, or you may have had some air in the system. When you add fluid, you should run the shifter back and forth several times and then drive a little before calling it good. That makes sure any bubbles in the system are purged. Your performance problem may be the tranny going into "self protection" from the fluid overheating. I don't know if you've ever changed it besides the 66K, but if not then you should. 66K was already way overdue, so another change to get rid of some more old fluid would be a good idea. Keep changing it at 30K mile intervals. To find out if the problem was an overheat, you need to scan the CVT-A/CVT-B values from your trans controller (TCM). If you have a 'Droid phone, the cheap out is to buy a VeePeak VP11 bluetooth-OBD adaptor to plug into your scanner port, then download a copy of the CVTz50 app. Go to "CVT Information" in the app and the CVT-A/CVT-B values will be displayed. Both should be zero, if not then your problem was most likely a hot tranny.
Ok I just received your detailed info. Ty ty. I had it changed by the Nissan dealer when I bought the car as I was unsure if the previous owner had changed it @ 60,000. I made sure the maintenance dpt. Did not have some young person but an older fellow they recommended. In fact he came out to speak w/ me and drove it. After adding it I did sit in the car and run it thru all the gears. ( Ty had no ideas but air bubbles) but the code thing is a lifeline for real. Ty as I'm so worried. I've heard about these CVT's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I just received your detailed info. Ty ty. I had it changed by the Nissan dealer when I bought the car as I was unsure if the previous owner had changed it @ 60,000. I made sure the maintenance dpt. Did not have some young person but an older fellow they recommended. In fact he came out to speak w/ me and drove it. After adding it I did sit in the car and run it thru all the gears. ( Ty had no ideas but air bubbles) but the code thing is a lifeline for real. Ty as I'm so worried. I've heard about these CVT's.
Thank you again for the code thing and blue tooth.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
You're most welcome. CVTz50 is a wonder tool when it comes to CVT's. In addition to reading trouble codes and support items like CVT-A/B, you'll be able to read your transmission temperature and pressures in realtime. It also does engine trouble codes, plus some rudimentary engine work support like Idle Air Volume Learn (something else your '10 might benefit from performing). I'm a Nissan tech, but I actually carry a VP11 in my pocket for "quick readouts" in the service drive. It's much faster than the dealership's Consult3+ and usually tells me everything I need to give a customer a quick appraisal. You'll like it.
(y) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts