Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So around March my 02 Altima started doing this weird thing. It starts up perfectly fine, but after driving about a mile it will lock up the steering wheel, and shut-off. It starts back up immediately once it is thrown into park, but this now happens everytime I try to drive it. I haven't needed it much since March, but if at all possible I would like to get it reliable before the snow falls, and avoiding taking it to a mechanic.

From browsing the forums I saw that there is a way to disable the steering wheel from locking on 4th gen Altimas. I am wondering if the same is true of the 3rd gens. If I can disable the steering wheel from locking up, I can at least eliminate that as a potential problem, and see if the car is actually stalling out, which would require having someone actually look at it.

I am extremely low on funds, so a DIY fix is preferable. The car has a few other problems, but to start I want to see if I can simply disable to steering wheel from locking up and go from there.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts