Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those out there that have the push button starter, have you experienced any problems or difficulties with it yet especially with the 07 Altima 3.5 SE?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't feel bad, Hotwriter. I was thinking of the kind you used to see in older cars. Either Dash mounted, or floor mounted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
starter button

Boy, those kind of push button starters are sure different than the old ones.

Now that I've had 5 calls (30 seconds apart) from a friends cell phone while he was eating dinner (and didn't know he was calling), I strongly feel that these kind of starters are NOT A GOOD THING.

I sure have no desire to have my car started inadvertently, and I sure dont want someone else's to start inadvertently, either. A car silently running in my garage generating carbon monoxide would not be so good, nor would one which gets loose and drives through (or over) something.

The price in loss of safety-wireless starting a powerful thing like a car without anyone at the controls-is far too large a price to pay for my or someone else's lazy butt to not sashay out to start up the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As I understand it, the keyless fob thingy does not start the car. The starter button is on the dash behind the stearing wheel where you would normally put the key. You have to have the keyless fob nearby and physically push the button for the car to start.

I guess the advantage is that you don't have to pull the fob out of your pocket to start the car. I don't know know what the other advantages are???

Since I am car shopping, I am seeing this on alot of cars now. On some cars you don't have to pull the fob out of your pocket to unlock the doors, I don't know if Altima's do this too??

John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Push button starter rocks! It is so convenient. My father has a push button starter and he says that he sometime forgets to turn the car off.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nope. No problems with mine. I have the '07 3.5SE and so far have had no issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
AJH said:
Push button starter rocks! It is so convenient. My father has a push button starter and he says that he sometime forgets to turn the car off.

With that said, this would be my only problem. I would have a stolen car in about a hour if my car was running with nobody in it.

Is there any safety features? Wouldn't want someone to just be able to push a button to steal my car...

·
Registered
2 Posts
push button starts

Looking at buying a Murano and I'm concerned that with the push button start you might accidently turn it off while reaching for the radio buttons while driving on the freeway and then will need to brake in order to start it again. I know the car can be turned off while it is moving. Has anyone heard of this happening.

·
Registered
46 Posts
you need the key in the car in order to start the car, so no one can take your car by just pushing the button, and if you leave with the car on the car will beep 5 times to inform you that you left it on while your leaving with the key in your pocket.

·
Registered
449 Posts
you need the key in the car in order to start the car, so no one can take your car by just pushing the button, and if you leave with the car on the car will beep 5 times to inform you that you left it on while your leaving with the key in your pocket.
Car did this yesterday when i left to go run and get something. First time i experienced/learned that my car did this.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Looking at buying a Murano and I'm concerned that with the push button start you might accidently turn it off while reaching for the radio buttons while driving on the freeway and then will need to brake in order to start it again. I know the car can be turned off while it is moving. Has anyone heard of this happening.
It takes 3 consecutive pushes.
Owners manual;

● Do not operate the push-button ignition
switch while driving the vehicle except
in an emergency. (The engine will stop
when the ignition switch is pushed 3
consecutive times or the ignition switch
is pushed and held for more than 2
seconds.) If the engine stops while the
vehicle is being driven, this could lead
to a crash and serious injury.
● When the battery of the Intelligent Key
runs down, insert the Intelligent Key
into the Intelligent Key port until a click
sounds. And then, push the ignition
switch to start the engine.
● If the steering lock release malfunction
indicator appears on the vehicle infor-
mation display, push the push-button
ignition switch again while lightly turn-
ing the steering wheel right and left.
See “Vehicle information display” in the
“Instruments and controls” section.

Found on another forum.

·
Registered
46 Posts
yeah mine beeps telling me that i have the key and left the car on all the time. Sometimes i let people drive it and i keep the key with me, good feature...i dont trust anyone with my car keys, so i keep them. So whenever i leave the car to get something or drop off something it beeps, gets annoying after a while because its like a daily thing with me haha.

·
Registered
392 Posts
No problem with mine yet, but it is brand new. I love the fact that my keys never leave my pocket though. I don't even need to pull them out to open my door, the car senses when the key is near and then I just push the button on the handle, enter the car, push the clutch and then the button and i'm gone!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
No problem with mine yet, but it is brand new. I love the fact that my keys never leave my pocket though. I don't even need to pull them out to open my door, the car senses when the key is near and then I just push the button on the handle, enter the car, push the clutch and then the button and i'm gone!!
It is a really nice feature to have. I love it! :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts