Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The vehicle = 2008 Altima 2.5 S, CVT, 130k+ miles.

I just installed (a couple months ago) struts and shocks. I like the fact that the strut bolts are not cambered (they are straight) and thus technically I didn't think I would need an alignment but I've been noticing some 'growling' noises coming from my tires, most when coming to a stop. I know it's my tires due to rotating them and the noise, at first, went away but now it's starting to come back.

Thank You!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there, it is mentioned that you installed struts and shocks a few months ago. So does the growling noise start recently? or has it been months? If it starts recently, i guess the noise has little to do with struts and shock. It may be caused by a bad wheel bearing. Plz give more info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, it is mentioned that you installed struts and shocks a few months ago. So does the growling noise start recently? or has it been months? If it starts recently, i guess the noise has little to do with struts and shock. It may be caused by a bad wheel bearing. Plz give more info.
Fairly recently. Very close to when I did the suspension. That's why I was thinking MAYBE I do need an alignment. When I rotated the wheels recently the noise did get better but now it's back to the same level it was at before the rotation.

I do know what bad wheel bearings sound like - When I first bought the Altima (72k miles) I had 2 go bad before 80k. On another vehicle (2008 Grand Caravan) we've had multiple ones go bad as well.

It's funny you should have replied just now. My son, a GMC tech, just had a ride in the car with me and HE's thinking the same thing - bearings.

The sound starts as soon as I start moving from a stop sign/light/etc.... Just last night I had the opportunity to test for this on an on ramp turning RIGHT but the sound didn't get any worse. There is another ramp I can test, this one has multiple (in quick succession) right and left turns that I can take at speed that "should" get something going (more noise?)

Thank You.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts