Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short: I got some bad advice and put generic PSF into my 2010 Nissan Altima (150k miles), but after some additional research, I'm thinking that was probably not a good idea. I can't do a proper replacement because the HOA would have my head (in addition to not being very confident in my own skills), but would using a turkey baster to remove the fluid be enough? Or do I need to get to a mechanic to do a full drainage?

Thanks!

·
Registered
654 Posts
You can use a baster and change it out repeatedly to get as much of the old fluid out as possible, cutting the steering to both locks to max out the pump pressure and move the fluid around in between extractions. Pretty much any alternative method will require jacking the car to crack the fittings, then dealing with a major mess. Small amounts of generic PSF or ATF remaining in the system shouldn't hurt anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! It's a relief to hear that small amounts are okay. Just to be 100% clear, cutting the steering to both locks means turning the steering wheel as far as it can go in both directions, right? And I need to start the engine in order to turn the steering wheel safely?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Just to be 100% clear, cutting the steering to both locks means turning the steering wheel as far as it can go in both directions, right? And I need to start the engine in order to turn the steering wheel safely?
Correct on both counts. To suck it out from the top, the car can be running the whole time. No need to shut it down between remove-and-fills.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts