Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I replaced my spark plugs this morning and as soon as I got them all in, the car won't ignite. It will turn over. The car was working fine up to then. I just decided to change plugs after 133K miles. The plugs are iridium. I did check the gauge on the originals made sure the new ones were the same. Got that squared away, put coils back on, no ignition. Tried the old plugs, no ignition. Went and bought a new set of iridium plugs, didn't check gap since they're supposed to be standard .044 I found out later. Tried them, no joy. Bought a new coil and swapped it across every cylinder and still no joy. Talked to a friend and he said to maybe check fuses. I got as far as I could with daylight gone. Will probably get it towed to the dealership Monday if I can't find something. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
All the fuses for the engine are in the IPDM, the black box upside down just in front of the left strut tower. On gen5 Alties the coils have their own fuse, so there's a good chance you simply popped it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also anyone know which one it is exactly that controls the coils? I see from my diagram three fuses listed that have ignition in the description. I see nothing on that page that says "coil". Any way it goes I'll give it a look in the morning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, checked all the fuses and they're good. The battery was reading over 12V but starting to wonder if it has a bad cell somehow. Earlier this week it didn't remote start on a cold day. Figured it needed better spark so that's where the new plugs came in(and the amount of miles on said plugs). I moved it into the garage yesterday with no hesitation at start up. It had dropped down to 12.02V after I tried to start it again earlier. Put it on a charger and as my wife and I were discussing it, we heard a clicking sound. I think it was one of the relays. So I got it back on the charger. Going to try to get it back up to 13V or at least near and try one more time. After that, I will probably be scheduling a wrecker for Monday to go to the dealership.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So forgot to update. Over the weekend I unhooked the battery since the engine wouldn't start. It just sat Sunday. Monday when the tow truck came, we hooked the battery back and it started. Still doesn't make much sense. Maybe the computer got a glitch and the reset fixed it? I have no idea. I did let it run a while and drove it over to the dealership. As I was driving, I noticed a check engine light so they had a code to go off of. They ran diagnostics and found it was running lean. Service guy suggested getting an oil change. He thought the lean condition may have been from gas vapors in the oil since the no start issue pumped a bunch of gas into the combustion chamber. He did offer more diagnostics but more time and money. Since the oil change he told me all the readings seemed back to normal. I do have a tiny oil leak in a spark plug tube and he suggested replacing the valve cover. Will look at that later if any more problems arise. Been driving it since last night and no problems. Running like a sewing machine. Thankfully for now it didn't cost much and hopefully it won't show back up again. If I have the car next time I need to change plugs the dealer will do it. Hopefully this is the end of the problem. Thanks for all the advice this past weekend.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Sounds like maybe it was fuel-fouled. Not sure why new plugs would do that, but nothing Nissan will start with flooded plugs. It can take days to clear out by itself in cold weather. Anyway, glad you got it running. (y) :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts