Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to replace these today because the dealer put some crap fasteners on the plate that started to rust. I thought it would be easy...yeah right.
The screws they installed were too big so they would just spin. So, I removed the trunk lid finish panel. This gave me room to grab the grommets with a pair of pliers. I got the screws out. Now to remove the grommets. I removed two nuts off the backside of the trunk lid so I could remove the license plate trim. Now comes the fun part. There are four plastic panel clips that also need to squeezed from behind to release them. What a CRAP :shit:design. The top one wasn't too bad. The lower right one was a little harder. It's very difficult getting needle nose, pliers, whatever, into these areas to pinch the clips. The clip near the key release was a *****. Now, you pop all of these, while keeping them from locking back in, and realize there is another in the middle, near the latch, that cannot be grabbed at all. Even removing the latch got me nowhere. I then had to pry and try popping it out. Not good. I popped it alright, breaking the mount for the clip right off the panel. I'm now pissed. I also, had to destroy the clip so I could remove it. Now I don't know about you, but I don't have these clips and the auto parts stores don't have these clips. :cursing:
To make a long story short, I epoxied on the mount, found some clips which I had to modify to work, installed new grommets and got it all back together. Total time including multiple trips to many auto stores was 4 hours.
Now if one of the plate lights go out, I will have to go through this all over again. :WTFsgign:
It's a crap design, plastic fasteners are garbage and whoever designed this obviously didn't think about removing it. It's really sad that for the amount of money we spend to buy these cars, all you get is plastic everything that once removed basically needs to be replaced because it breaks.

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
I know what you mean. My last Altima I had to pry my license plate off leaving the bolts rusted to the clips. The car was sold at that point so I didn't care much to replace them. My Toyota is the same way. The dealership I bought it from put their stupid advertising plate surround on it and I had to break it off because the bolts are rusted in place. The fit and finish on my Toyota, however, far exceeds my Altima hence the 'welcome to Nissan' comment.

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
I had to replace these today because the dealer put some crap fasteners on the plate that started to rust. I thought it would be easy...yeah right.
The screws they installed were too big so they would just spin. So, I removed the trunk lid finish panel. This gave me room to grab the grommets with a pair of pliers. I got the screws out. Now to remove the grommets. I removed two nuts off the backside of the trunk lid so I could remove the license plate trim. Now comes the fun part. There are four plastic panel clips that also need to squeezed from behind to release them. What a CRAP :shit:design. The top one wasn't too bad. The lower right one was a little harder. It's very difficult getting needle nose, pliers, whatever, into these areas to pinch the clips. The clip near the key release was a *****. Now, you pop all of these, while keeping them from locking back in, and realize there is another in the middle, near the latch, that cannot be grabbed at all. Even removing the latch got me nowhere. I then had to pry and try popping it out. Not good. I popped it alright, breaking the mount for the clip right off the panel. I'm now pissed. I also, had to destroy the clip so I could remove it. Now I don't know about you, but I don't have these clips and the auto parts stores don't have these clips. :cursing:
To make a long story short, I epoxied on the mount, found some clips which I had to modify to work, installed new grommets and got it all back together. Total time including multiple trips to many auto stores was 4 hours.
Now if one of the plate lights go out, I will have to go through this all over again. :WTFsgign:
It's a crap design, plastic fasteners are garbage and whoever designed this obviously didn't think about removing it. It's really sad that for the amount of money we spend to buy these cars, all you get is plastic everything that once removed basically needs to be replaced because it breaks.

WOW!!... that really is terrible. I just replaced mine approx 2 weeks ago, and I didnt have to break anything. After removing the two nuts, i closed the lid and gently pried with a flat-blade screwdriver wrapped in a cloth...going around all edges to pop all of the remaining pins out of their plastic grommets :rolleyes:

The 'finish panel' came right out after that. I'm pretty sure that this part is meant to 'pop-off', and pop right back into place.

It was an easy job for me...I changed mine for cosmetic reasons. Actually, I wasnt satisfied with the way I put the rubber gasket back on mine, so I'm planning to open it up again next week to get it done right and to spray paint the tops of the license plate light housings (I cant stand the way the light peeks out from above when the lights are on).

Sometimes it takes LOTS of patience to get things done well...especially if it's the first time you're doing it.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
i had to go through that when i put a CF trunk of my 06 Spec-V
had to take everything off to transfer. it was a huge pain and took me a couple hours
i never want to go through that again

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had to go through that when i put a CF trunk of my 06 Spec-V
had to take everything off to transfer. it was a huge pain and took me a couple hours
i never want to go through that again
Yeah, I understand it's cheaper using plastic clips but it's just aggravating working with the stuff. I was very careful removing it and it still was a hassle. I've been working on cars for many years and I've seen first hand the decline of parts like body panels and interior trim for example. Now we are dealing with hidden fasteners and thin materials that don't like to be removed.

·
Registered
7,879 Posts
Yeah, I understand it's cheaper using plastic clips but it's just aggravating working with the stuff. I was very careful removing it and it still was a hassle. I've been working on cars for many years and I've seen first hand the decline of parts like body panels and interior trim for example. Now we are dealing with hidden fasteners and thin materials that don't like to be removed.
it sucks, just for them to save some money
yeah some of the pieces i couldnt take off the CF trunk because i know it would crack

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just read this thread seeking advice for removing the grommets that were full of rust from the screws that were a nightmare to remove. So in case anyone today or in the future finds this thread seeking advice and sees how difficult this is, I wanted to share what worked for me. Since the grommets were trashed, I didn't care about destroying them. After popping off the inner lining with the back end of a hammer, I used wire cutters to deform the plastic grommets and twist them until they snapped. At that point, after a couple of hits with a hammer and a screw driver as a chisel, they popped right out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts