Nissan Altima Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

Registered
Full Disclosure: I am a salesperson at a Nissan dealership in WA (15 years so far). One of our Master techs told me that Nissan has axed this feature because too many people would accidentally lower their windows (eg.Sitting on their Fob) and then complain that their car was broken. I had hoped maybe it was a feature that had been "switched off" by default (through the CONSULT system) and could therefore be switched on, but nope. Looks like it's gone altogether.
馃數Thanks but this makes no sense.
Allow it to be an option to be turned off for people who sit on their keys.
馃數I used this feature for 25 years on my previous Infiniti I30 with no accidental windows down. Not once.
Who can we contact to get this fixed?
There are many, many, many people who really like this feature as well as those who complained and got it turned off.
馃數 If they complained to get it turned off, we need to request (formally complain?) to get it available for us.
馃泜 It is in the videos and it is in my owners manual.

Registered
I have a 2020 sr model and it works on the front two windows and I only have auto up and down on drivers window I would take it to dealer for a full scan to see if any codes are stored tbh is should work sl model is higher then the sr
Ace20sr This is great news.
Can I get your dealership name to pass along to our Nissan Service Manager? He has asked me to provide any info that I find that can help.

Registered
gmm6797, on the topic of "false advertising", as was explained to me, if you listen closely, at the very end, they say that this features is available for equipped vehicles. US Spec vehicles are "not equipped". So, no, it is not false advertising. Gotta love the lawyers and their key words and tricky phrases.

tc10, I am still waiting on my local dealership to tell me if it is even possible. Logic would think that it would be. But, some times manufacturers do some silly things. As for why this function was removed, Nissan would not directly say. The story that I have heard through the grapevine is that there was a rash of people that brought their cars into the dealership because "the windows rolled down on their own" and was most likely caused by the fact that they had the keyfob in their pocket and it pushed the button. So, to fix this, they simply remove the function. All manufacturers that I am aware of have done this same sort of thing with the oil pressure gauge and the engine temp gauge. If you notice with the oil pressure gauge, it comes to some pre-defined point and stays there. If you know anything about engines, as you rev an engine, the oil pressure follows engine RPM. Yet, the gauge on the dash is still. It is just a fancy "idiot gauge". As for the engine temp gauge, this is a bit more complicated. Yes, at low temps the gauge will follow actual temp. But, between like 190 and 210F (or something of the like), the gauge will remain in 1 spot. Again, people would drive on the highway for a bit, then come to a stop light and while sitting there, they would notice that their temperature gauge would start to rise and would be in fear of the car overheating and therefore take the car into the dealership for "repairs".

Registered
Ace20sr, you may have a vehicle that this works in if your car was manufactured for a different region. A car made for the US will have different safety features and functions than say a car made for the Canadian market and yet they will be even different for the European market. So, knowing where you live could explain the difference.

I have a 2020 sr model and it works on the front two windows and I only have auto up and down on drivers window I would take it to dealer for a full scan to see if any codes are stored tbh is should work sl model is higher then the sr

Registered

tc10, I am still waiting on my local dealership to tell me if it is even possible. Logic would think that it would be. But, some times manufacturers do some silly things. As for why this function was removed, Nissan would not directly say. The story that I have heard through the grapevine is that there was a rash of people that brought their cars into the dealership because "the windows rolled down on their own" and was most likely caused by the fact that they had the keyfob in their pocket and it pushed the button. So, to fix this, they simply remove the function. ...
If the advertising is true then this does work in some countries so the code should be available. If complaints got it turned off then Nissan should hopefully respond to people wanting
I finally got in touch with Haley at Nissan Customer Affairs. We talked about the issue and her reply was that this feature, while talked about in the video, is not equipped on US Spec cars. So, no car in the US has this feature for the 2019+ Altimas. Yes, the video does say that car can be equipped with this option, but as stated, no US Spec car is. So, now my question becomes, it sounds like the computer that controls the windows has the functionality, just doesn't have the electronic switch turned on. Is it possible to get into the computer(s) at the dealership level and turn this feature on? I have my local dealership looking into this. I will be curious what they say the answer is.
How do we get the code to our service managers. Many of us want this turned on for our vehicle. As mentioned I have used this for over 25 years without any random issues.

Registered
gmm6797, on the topic of "false advertising", as was explained to me, if you listen closely, at the very end, they say that this features is available for equipped vehicles. US Spec vehicles are "not equipped". So, no, it is not false advertising. Gotta love the lawyers and their key words and tricky phrases.
What countries have this feature. Let's contact them to get the code?!

Registered
NISMO, well, at the request of my local dealership (the one I bought the car through), I sent an e-mail directly to Nissan to get their story on this. That way, we have it straight form the horses mouth. If you want, I can post the e-mail that I get back here just so there is proof of what is being said. It will be curious what they say as I included that they have videos that say the car should have this feature. So, why doesn't it work? I think their answer is going to be an interesting one.
Here is an interesting read. It looks like the windows going down for some may not even be related to the key fob. They may have taken away this feature from us and the problem was elsewhere?? front windows rolling down and doors unlocking by themselves on 2007 Altima - Page 2 - Nissanhelp.com Forums

Registered
TC10, I am still waiting on my dealership to give me an answer. I have a feeling that since it has been a few days, the answer is going to be that it is not possible. I am sure there are ways around this. One that comes to mind is to install an aftermarket alarm system and that can be wired up to do what people want. The other possibility would be to get a new control module for the windows that would have this feature installed (would have to determine the correct part number for the "good" countries) and then order the module and get it programmed. But, what is getting this feature worth to you in dollars. Getting that control module is going to be pricy, let alone getting it programmed.

As for the issue with the cars in the link you included, I would suspect (don't have a sample in front of me to confirm this) that the modules do not use relays, but instead, they are using high power transistors. These are known to fail with time and once they start getting some leakage (ie, don't shut off 100%), they can start some crazy things to happen. It is possible the link you included above is why this feature is no longer available.

Registered
My 2019 Altima SL AWD will not roll roll down the windows with the key FOB as outlined in the following Nissan YouTube video.

I've contacted Nissan Customer Support and they are unable to tell me if my SL supports this feature or not, so I don't know if its just not supported on the SL or its broken. I would imagine the 2019 SL would support this feature since my 10, 13 & 16 Altima's all had this feature.

If anyone on this forum with a 2019 SL verify if this feature works on their car. I would greatly appreciate. Thank you
This does not work on my 2020 Altima Platinum. I have been trying to get it fixed for several months.

Registered
Here is an interesting read. It looks like the windows going down for some may not even be related to the key fob. They may have taken away this feature from us and the problem was elsewhere?? front windows rolling down and doors unlocking by themselves on 2007 Altima - Page 2 - Nissanhelp.com Forums
This worked fine for 20 years on my 1996 Infiniti I30. No problems. I bought a new 2020 Altima Platinum expecting to have this and it currently does not work. At an absolute minimum this should be available to optionally turn off / on.

Registered
Full Disclosure: I am a salesperson at a Nissan dealership in WA (15 years so far). One of our Master techs told me that Nissan has axed this feature because too many people would accidentally lower their windows (eg.Sitting on their Fob) and then complain that their car was broken. I had hoped maybe it was a feature that had been "switched off" by default (through the CONSULT system) and could therefore be switched on, but nope. Looks like it's gone altogether.
This worked fine on my 1996 Infiniti I30 for 20 years. I never had the windows randomly go down. Never. If this has been turned off, it needs to be turned back on with a patch to be available for those that want to use it. It has been very helpful on many hot days thru the summer for 20 years.

Registered
I finally got in touch with Haley at Nissan Customer Affairs. We talked about the issue and her reply was that this feature, while talked about in the video, is not equipped on US Spec cars. So, no car in the US has this feature for the 2019+ Altimas. Yes, the video does say that car can be equipped with this option, but as stated, no US Spec car is. So, now my question becomes, it sounds like the computer that controls the windows has the functionality, just doesn't have the electronic switch turned on. Is it possible to get into the computer(s) at the dealership level and turn this feature on? I have my local dealership looking into this. I will be curious what they say the answer is.
Hi Thermo, Any updates. to get this turned on.
As I mentioned this worked fine on my 1996 Infiniti I30 for over 20 years.
Now Nissan cannot make it work without the windows randomly going down?

Registered
tc10, I have talked to them and they have pretty much gone mum on the subject. So, I am thinking that they have either found it not to be possible or would take too much hacking that they can't say "just do this" because they are at a dealership. part of me would be interested in getting a dealership level scan tool and seeing what I can find. I have one for my Jag and it is rather handy and gives way more information than any scanner out there. Granted, I can also see something like that coming in handy in the future for module replacement and if any key work is needed.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts