Nissan Altima Forum banner

Service Engine light ON

4K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Nissmo 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have Nissan Altima 1998 GXE Model.
I got check service engine light on and i went to pep boys for the initial diagnostics to find the codes. The codes are:
1) P1402 ( Mfr Controlled Aux Emiss Cntrls)
2) P0325 ( Knock Sens 1 circuit Malfunction)
For the problem 1 (P1402), they said i need to take the car to the dealer. I checked in Google and not found any details. Please let me know how big the issue is? How much it will cost to Fix this? Is only dealer can solver this issue?
I have my inspection due this month end.
Please help!

#4 ·
I just had the same problem on my wife's altima is also a 98 altima. I had to replace the knock sensor, and the e-vap vent valve, and the check engine light went away. Is going to cost U alot to replace the knock sensor I had to pay for the two problems about $670.00. My guess is that U should replace the sensor 1st.

#5 · (Edited)
The knock sensor is a diagnostic sensor and will not cause the check engine light to come on or make the engine run bad but will set a code. In fact the EVAP vent control valve is the same as it is just a diagnotic part and will not cause the engine to run bad. His problem has to do with the EGR or BPT valve. Maybe a leaking vacuum line or faulty valve.

#6 ·
Replacing either of the two (knock sensor or EGR valve) isn't hard at all, the knock sensor you just unplug the wire, unscrew and replace. The EGR valve only has two bolts, remove the bolts, remove any connectors and one vacuum line and vise versa to install.

If you don't know how to work on a car (basics) the expensive part of these repairs will be labor rates, so I say repair it yourself, it ain't that hard. Also, if you do not want to cough up $152 for a new EGR valve, remove the old one and try cleaning it, scrape off old carbon build up with a tool or small pkt knife, you can also spray carburetor cleaner on it.. doing these things frees up a stuck diaphram on the valve and can save you the repair cost. If you do this, don't forget to buy a new gasket for the EGR valve; and remember to disconnect the negative battery cable before you begin your work, if all goes well, when you hook up your battery again, check engine light will be gone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.