Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not really sure if this is the right way to describe what I have noticed, but my 2012 Altima seems to "downshift" when going down a steep hill.

I drive the through the hills to and from work each day and for some reason when I get to the steep downhill portion of the road the engine stays engaged at around 2500 rpms. I am not applying any gas through the downhill, as it is a windy 2 lane road and requires 30 to 35 mph speeds.

Lately I have just shifted into manual and upshift to 6th gear.

Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I like the engine breaking function but if you don't like it, the dealer can disable this function, you will end up with going down hill at initial speed or faster, the same as putting the car in manual 6th gear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From the Nissan Factory Service Manual:

TM-105
DOWNHILL ENGINE BRAKE CONTROL (AUTO ENGINE BRAKE CONTROL)

When downhill is detected with the accelerator pedal released, the engine brake will be strengthened up by downshifting so as not to accelerate the vehicle more than necessary.

TM-111
WORK SUPPORT MODE

ENGINE BRAKE ADJ. The engine brake level setting can be canceled.

Engine Brake Adjustment

“ENGINE BRAKE LEVEL”
0: Initial set value (Engine brake level control is activated)
OFF: Engine brake level control is deactivated.

CAUTION:
Mode of “+1” “0” “−1” “−2” “OFF” can be selected by pressing the “UP” “DOWN” on CONSULT-III screen. However, do not select mode other than “0” and “OFF”. If the “+1” or “−1” or “−2” is selected, that might cause irregular driveability.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently took my '11 Altima in for service and ask that they disable this feature. Unfortunately their incompetence did not allow them to fulfill my request.

I must say this feature is pretty annoying and cannot be good on fuel economy.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I recently took my '11 Altima in for service and ask that they disable this feature. Unfortunately their incompetence did not allow them to fulfill my request.

I must say this feature is pretty annoying and cannot be good on fuel economy.
Go to another dealer.....I just had my CVT braking feature disabled no charge on my 2012 with 13,000 miles on it.

·
Administrator
340 Posts
wonder if yu can have it disabled by someone other than the dealer. Sounds like the dealer doesn't want to be responsible for a possible mistake or something.
Download a copy of the CVTz50 app for an android smartphone and get a VeePeak VP11 adaptor for your OBD-II port (the VP11 is the cheapest ELM327 that works correctly with CVTz50, not all of them do). With that, you can perform the Engine Brake Adjustment, you can read any CVT codes yourself, read the CVT temperature in realtime, and also check the CVT-A/CVT-B count for any history of overheating. If something bad did happen, at least you'll get an inkling of what it was from the past evidence by seeing that the counts are greater then zero.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts