Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to Altimas and thus this forum. Just got a 2008 2.5 S (black, of course), to replace my gas guzzlin' '97 Mustang GT convertible (I will miss the convertible part). Anyway, love the car so far, but as I'm doing the it's new-2-me car cleaning (seller didn't even bother to wash it) I find the dash, where the Florida sun hits it, is super sticky (as in beyond tacky). Tried Maguires cleaner first. No go. Tried some eco-friendly junk we use in my store. Nada. Tried Goo-Gone. Nothing. Never seen anything like it in my 45 years of car ownership. Prior owner says it was like that when he bought it last year. So...is this an Altima thing? Or is it just a my-car thing?

Either way, cure solutions (pun intended) are welcome.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I would try some APC & see what results you ll get .

I use Simple Gren , used it in Big Trucks first , did the job .

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
True Gameguru but I use TW Ice Total Interior Care , been real surprised by the results on this combo , & you can get it @ Walmart , easy to get .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just had the car detailed by some local pros who always do a great job and the stickiness remains. Don't know what they used, but whatever it was didn't work. <sigh>

Guess I'm off to Wal-Mart <heavy sigh>

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
If you want to get rid of the stickiness , use Simple Green only , use it for a couple different times , you ll see the results .

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
We don t know what went on this dash !

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
In his(or the rare occasion, her), I've seen two other Altimas do this. I have no clue what causes it or how to correct it tho. The two I've seen wasn't really sticky, but tacky. Like the material that the dash pad is made from is melting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In his(or the rare occasion, her), I've seen two other Altimas do this. I have no clue what causes it or how to correct it tho. The two I've seen wasn't really sticky, but tacky. Like the material that the dash pad is made from is melting.

That's pretty much how it seems. Still, some Simple Green is in my near future. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heard this from others as well - and that truly does seem to be the case. The Simple Green didn't work, either. Very annoying, as I have a dog who travels with me often, and her hair is now stuck to the dash, which wouldn't be that back if she were black. Alas, she's brown. sigh

·
Registered
4 Posts
I read posts here from time to time but never registered, until today.

I have the sticky dash issue in my '09 Altima Coupe. I have a black on black car and live in SW FL. You are not alone. As much as I sometimes hate cross-linking to other forums, there is a post here about 4 pages with many cars from FL, TX and now one from CA. They seem to be all 08's and I think mine is the first '09 reported there doing it (it was a build date of 11/08). In addition, my dash has never seen Armor All or anything on it and the car was purchased new by me. It is getting soft above the air vents and steering wheel and is getting to the point I can stick my finger nail right into it and leave an indent. Cloths and paper towels now stick to it in certain points. If you want to see the other reports, take a look here (you will see they are all Coupes but there are other posts involving the sedans on that and other forums).

forums . nicoclub . com/my-dashboard-is-melting-t569582.html (copy, paste and remove spaces)

(can't post links here until I get a few more posts in).

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Did you buy from a dealer? I would try to see if they could help you, not really sure if there is a "fix" for Nissan cutting corners on quality.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you buy from a dealer? I would try to see if they could help you, not really sure if there is a "fix" for Nissan cutting corners on quality.
Yes, I did. I am going to them first. I have that gut feeling it won't go anywhere but that is always my start.

Many have been filing claims with Nissan USA - most being denied. There have been a few reports though of the claims finally getting approved and the dash replaced. I just starting seeing these symptoms and am beginning the process now as I have seen pictures of these dashes really going to hell quite quickly. I keep my car in top-notch condition (especially with only 48k on it) so I will do what is necessary to get this issue taken care of. I have yet to have a vehicle do this - I know the problem is not only limited to Nissan but a dash should last more then 4 years (even if the car is located in FL).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts