Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Probably the shocks, the gen5's are notorious for making squeaks or clicks when the rears go bad. They're also known for loose sway bar links, but if it makes the noise over speed bumps then that probably isn't the issue. Those will generally make noise over one-wheel bumps but not when both wheels hit the bump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably the shocks, the gen5's are notorious for making squeaks or clicks when the rears go bad. They're also known for loose sway bar links, but if it makes the noise over speed bumps then that probably isn't the issue. Those will generally make noise over one-wheel bumps but not when both wheels hit the bump.
Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
If you live in the Midwest I would check the rear control arms / suspension area, there is recall on the 13 but not the 14 for the arms falling apart and the car crashing down onto the tire when it snaps. I have a 14 that is recalled in Canada but not in the US that I have had into the dealer multiple times for noise from the rear to have them say it was the “brakes or the shocks” after replacing the brakes, shocks and sway bar links only to have it collapse 2 months later when it broke free from the frame and $2000 later out of pocket since they won’t recall the 14’s also. The dealer had all the parts on hand and turned it around in a day which I thought was pretty good and when I asked how many they do a month he said not that many only 8-10 per month. I think that they used the same parts 13-18 years. I would take a look on the recall website and read all the complaints that are out there on the noise.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
If you live in the Midwest I would check the rear control arms / suspension area, there is recall on the 13 but not the 14 for the arms falling apart and the car crashing down onto the tire when it snaps. I have a 14 that is recalled in Canada but not in the US that I have had into the dealer multiple times for noise from the rear to have them say it was the “brakes or the shocks” after replacing the brakes, shocks and sway bar links only to have it collapse 2 months later when it broke free from the frame and $2000 later out of pocket since they won’t recall the 14’s also. The dealer had all the parts on hand and turned it around in a day which I thought was pretty good and when I asked how many they do a month he said not that many only 8-10 per month. I think that they used the same parts 13-18 years. I would take a look on the recall website and read all the complaints that are out there on the noise.
That recall goes by registration in "salt states", so it's likely your ride spent some time in one that didn't show up in the registration paper trail. It's definitely a salt issue, to my knowledge we've repaired a grand total of four (Little Rock, AR dealership) and all of them were from out of state. On local cars that failure is unheard of. Self-inspection can't hurt, especially if you don't know your ride's history. Severe rust on the rear control arms means trouble down the road, period.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That recall goes by registration in "salt states", so it's likely your ride spent some time in one that didn't show up in the registration paper trail. It's definitely a salt issue, to my knowledge we've repaired a grand total of four (Little Rock, AR dealership) and all of them were from out of state. On local cars that failure is unheard of. Self-inspection can't hurt, especially if you don't know your ride's history. Severe rust on the rear control arms means trouble down the road, period.
Yes I’m in the salt belt in the US but Nissan still hasn’t put the remainder of the years into the recall. I know that the 13 is recalled in the US but no other years and in Canada the 13 and 14 is recalled, I was mentioning it as a possible result from the noises heard not knowing where the posters car is located

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yes I’m in the salt belt in the US but Nissan still hasn’t put the remainder of the years into the recall. I know that the 13 is recalled in the US but no other years and in Canada the 13 and 14 is recalled, I was mentioning it as a possible result from the noises heard not knowing where the posters car is located.
No disagreement, you're right to suggest the OP look at it if there's any chance the car lived in Salt Alley. In fact, it's something I'd look at on any car from any manufacturer that lived with salted roads. The front control arms on the Altie are cast alloy and won't have that issue, but anything with pressed-steel arms at either end is in danger of snapped welds if the rust gets bad. Not just the arms, either -- everybody knows about the old Pathies that could suffer complete rust-outs of the front shock towers. Good advice, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. Only to suggest that it's very unlikely if the car hasn't seen salt.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All,

I have a 2013 Altima 3.5. Whenever I go over a speed bump, the front suspension is quiet, while the rear suspension makes a bit of noise. Is this normal?

-Steve
Mine made same noise and it was really rocket arm defenct and nissan extended warranty and reimbursed me for expense. For the other side I went thru dealership and nissan paid with no out of pocket with a loader car

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the heads up. I live in the Desert Southwest, so there's no salt here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine made same noise and it was really rocket arm defenct and nissan extended warranty and reimbursed me for expense. For the other side I went thru dealership and nissan paid with no out of pocket with a loader car
[/QUOT
Yes I’m in the salt belt in the US but Nissan still hasn’t put the remainder of the years into the recall. I know that the 13 is recalled in the US but no other years and in Canada the 13 and 14 is recalled, I was mentioning it as a possible result from the noises heard not knowing where the posters car is located
I'm in the Desert Southwest. No salt here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Chile and have a 2014 2.5 SV Altima, my city (Santiago) is dry weather and car rust is not common here. Have already changed the rear stabilizer bar bushings and the sway bar links but the creaking continues...i go to the lube station for a glicerol spray service and the noise gives me a break for 2-3 months and then it comes back again. Dont want to change the rear shocks yet as they show NO evidence of leaking but Im thinking about the chance to dismount them, clean the rubber and gaskets in the upper part with silicone spray....maybe it the material rejuvenates it will stop creaking, I think...same dismounting the coils to clean and siliconize the rubber assembly on those...rest of suspension components (bushings and bars) have been replaced as well as new brake pads and rotors, car is handling very well but creaking is driving me nuts, although it reduces after weekend wash with hydro-steamer.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I live in Chile and have a 2014 2.5 SV Altima, my city (Santiago) is dry weather and car rust is not common here. Have already changed the rear stabilizer bar bushings and the sway bar links but the creaking continues...i go to the lube station for a glicerol spray service and the noise gives me a break for 2-3 months and then it comes back again. Dont want to change the rear shocks yet as they show NO evidence of leaking but Im thinking about the chance to dismount them, clean the rubber and gaskets in the upper part with silicone spray....maybe it the material rejuvenates it will stop creaking, I think...same dismounting the coils to clean and siliconize the rubber assembly on those...rest of suspension components (bushings and bars) have been replaced as well as new brake pads and rotors, car is handling very well but creaking is driving me nuts, although it reduces after weekend wash with hydro-steamer.
If it's a recurring squeak or chirp over bumps and spray lubrication helps temporarily, it's almost certain your upper shock bushings are responsible. You can't fix it permanently by spraying, the shocks need to be taken down and the upper bushing pack disassembled. Then cover every piece of hardware (rubber and metal) with white lithium grease, including the insides of the holes in the rubber bushings. Reassemble and your squeaks will be gone for good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If it's a recurring squeak or chirp over bumps and spray lubrication helps temporarily, it's almost certain your upper shock bushings are responsible. You can't fix it permanently by spraying, the shocks need to be taken down and the upper bushing pack disassembled. Then cover every piece of hardware (rubber and metal) with white lithium grease, including the insides of the holes in the rubber bushings. Reassemble and your squeaks will be gone for good.
]Many thanks partner....Greetings from Chile...!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don’t those have springs that like to break too?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
No, the rears are a traditional shock and not a coil-over. We rarely see spring problems. There is a rust issue with the lower control arms on '13 models in salt conditions, there was a recall for that. There was also a "service campaign" that extended it to some '14's. It's largely a matter of the welds rusting out that hold the control arm "sandwich" together, and since steel control arms with that construction are popular in many makes and models, it's a hazard anyone in a "salt state" should be aware of and have checked periodically.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts