Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a trailer hitch on their 2019 Altima? I want to be able to tow a trailer with lights behind it and I'm not sure what to get. Looks like there are only a couple of options available for the 2019 Altima. I was looking at the Drawtite hitch, I would need to do the wiring for it as well. Or would it be better to just go to Uhaul and spend the extra money for not having to install and figure out the wiring myself?

Also, does anyone know the towing capacity of the 2019? Believe it is around 1,000 lbs?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately the CVT transmission is not designed for towing; therefore there is no towing capacity assigned to the 2019 Altima. From the Owners Manual, page 10-17: "Do not tow a trailer with your vehicle."

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone put a trailer hitch on their 2019 Altima? I want to be able to tow a trailer with lights behind it and I'm not sure what to get. Looks like there are only a couple of options available for the 2019 Altima. I was looking at the Drawtite hitch, I would need to do the wiring for it as well. Or would it be better to just go to Uhaul and spend the extra money for not having to install and figure out the wiring myself?

Also, does anyone know the towing capacity of the 2019? Believe it is around 1,000 lbs?
I put one on an older Altima. If you go to U-Haul they can advise of the maximum tongue weight and the maximum weight you can tow. They’ll install the hook ups for the lights with the hitch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately the CVT transmission is not designed for towing; therefore there is no towing capacity assigned to the 2019 Altima. From the Owners Manual, page 10-17: "Do not tow a trailer with your vehicle."
That cannot be true. My 2007 Altima 3.5 SE has a CVT transmission and I’ve had a hitch for over ten years with no problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Carib909 is correct. Nissan mates the Jatco CVT8 to the VQ35DE V6 in numerous models such as Altima (until 2018); Maxima, Murano and Pathfinder. The 2019 Murano, for example, has towing capacity of 1,500 lbs.

Nissan also uses the CVT8 with the 6th generation PR25DD (non-turbo 2.5L) and KR20DDET (VC Turbo 2.0L). For these engine applications, however, Nissan has not assigned a tow rating. The 2019 Altima owners manual states: "Do not tow a trailer with your vehicle." Not sure why; but it could be factors like the vehicle's braking capacity; the size of the cooler for transmission fluid; or limitations of different versions of the CVT8. (For example, the Pathfinder transmission is the CVT8HT - high torque.)

·
Registered
10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my hitch on Craigslist for 100 and had a weld shop install it for 100. Uhaul wanted 475plus. The wiring harness is plug and play you unplug brake light and plug into harness then harness into light. You just have to ground to frame and run power to battery and auto zone sells connector with fuse to hook to battery for like 3 bucks. Wiring only takes about 10 min. Max. My installer did mine while i watched.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts