Nissan Altima Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some info, i have a 94 altima GXE and i also have a parts car with a 5 spd in it and i want to swap my auto to a 5 spd, i know it will work but i just want to know if i have to change the ECU, cuz i am worried but the saftey switch on the pedal so i heard that if i don,t change the ECU all i have to do is ground the wire from the pedal into the saftey switch on the auto shift lever so i need to know if that will work so i can get started on my swap

thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
hey euro,
no need to swap the ecu, all you do as far as the wiring goes is jump the park neutral switch and be sure to hook up the reverse lights but be careful because after your 5 speed swap your car will start without the clutch pushed in (kinda like the old cars, before clutch inhibitor switches)

·
Registered
6 Posts
i was thinking about swaping my engine for and sr20det.. will the stock transmission handle it and wil the transmission bolt up to the sr block??

·
Registered
51 Posts
sorry im a week late on the response. yeah the altima tranny should bolt right up to the sr20 motor. make sure you use an altima tranny with limited slip diff or you will be disappointed with your traction. the lsd diff came in the gxe model and the se until 97. the stock altima gears are suppossed to hold reliably till 500hp, or so i have heard. i haven't hit that mark yet. im doing a major n/a build right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
gain more hp

I have a 1997 Nissan Altima XE Automatic Transmission how i can make my car to gain like 250 hp what do i need to change.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 1997 Nissan Altima XE Automatic Transmission how i can make my car to gain like 250 hp what do i need to change.
If you are trying to truly gain 250 hp,in my opinion, first get rid of the auto. The cheapest way ( and fastest way to blow your motor) is spray nitrous. But this isn't reliable, and the power isn't there every time you hit the throttle. Your next option is to put boost to it. Turbos are fun, but very expensive and you are constantly tuning it, or cracking pistons. I like naturally aspirated, but you truly have to work for that horsepower. A general rule of thumb for most Nissan 4 and six cylinders is that you can reasonably get 100 hp per liter. (without boost) An example is the 2.4 liter Altima motor will reliably make 240hp at the flywheel. This is if everything is done just right and with enough money. You are looking at all new internal and externals, like high compression pistons, cams, valve springs, head work, headers, exhaust, piggy-back ecu system, lightweight this and that and on and on....Without boost, if you can make 200 wheel horse power on a chassis dyno, you should give you or your engine builder a pat on the back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
So, is there any documentation on switching the trans on the KA motors?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you sure

sorry im a week late on the response. yeah the altima tranny should bolt right up to the sr20 motor. make sure you use an altima tranny with limited slip diff or you will be disappointed with your traction. the lsd diff came in the gxe model and the se until 97. the stock altima gears are suppossed to hold reliably till 500hp, or so i have heard. i haven't hit that mark yet. im doing a major n/a build right now.
Are you sure cause my 1997 altima gxe does not have lsd

1 - 10 of 10 Posts