Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
***WARNING*** This kit is designed to have all parts installed. Failing to do so may result in serious transmission damage. Read on to find out all the info.

Look what the mail dragged in!

I'll use this thread to update on progress. I'm hoping to get it done in the next couple of weeks. Just want to get it done.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Look what the mail dragged in!

I'll use this thread to update on progress. I'm hoping to get it done in the next couple of weeks. Just want to get it done.
Awesome, looking forward to your progress on this because that is something I would want to do to my car.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Awesome, looking forward to your progress on this because that is something I would want to do to my car.
So since I know how are transmission's shift now, what does this kit do to use auto owner's.

·
Registered
479 Posts
what is this exactly for?

·
Registered
11,462 Posts

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Go to the link I posted above and look in the features.
That link from Transgo doesnt really tell you the driving charestic's of what it wil do but once Mike is done he will be able to provide all the goodies.

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've done all the reading I can on the 2-3 flaring issue and it seems to be narrowed down to the valve body and/or 3rd gear clutch pack seal. From other users that have installed it, it seems to have taken care of their flaring issue by just installing the valve body upgrade part of the kit. If after the VB upgrade I'm still experiencing flaring then we'll drop the tranny and install the rest of the kit which requires a tear down.

Judging by the instructions that came with the kit, it should be pretty straight forward. There are a few channels that need to be drilled out and there are some really small parts that would be easy to lose, but otherwise seems straight forward.

From others experience, I'm expecting 1st to 2nd gear to be pretty harsh at roughly half throttle. At full throttle it should peel the tires going into second. The other shifts should be stiff but quick and put you right into the power band in the next gear. I'm looking forward to being done.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Ive done all the reading I can on the 2-3 flaring issue and it seems to be narrowed down to the valve body and/or 3rd gear clutch pack seal. From other users that have installed it, it seems to have taken care of their flaring issue by just installing the vavle body upgrade part of the kit. If after the VB upgrade I'm still experiencing flaring then we'll drop the tranny and install the rest of the kit which requires a tear down.

Judging by the instructions that came with the kit, it should be pretty straight forward. There are a few channels that need to be drilled out and there are some really small parts that would be easy to lose, but otherwise seems straight forward.

From others experience, I'm expecting 1st to 2nd gear to be pretty harsh at roughly half throttle. At full throttle it should peel the tires going into second. The other shifts should be stiff but quick and put you right into the power band in the next gear. I'm looking forward to being done.

So with the expected harsh shifts is there any other areas of the car that would need to be addressed ie: bushings/ mounts.

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not necessarily. We'll have a look at the condition of my mounts and if they're in good shape we'll leave them alone. I don't know that the kit would have any adverse effects on them anyway.

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
1,961 Posts
I put this kit in my 01' mustang (when I had it) and it sure makes a difference in shifts. They will be hard shifts and it is recommended to upgrade any transmission mounts to withstand them. What is perfect along with this kit is a high stall torque converter.

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I hear you about the TC, but it's not really in the cards right now. I've read through Chris' friend stormz install with a high stall and it sounds really interesting.

My number 1 goal is to get rid of the flaring, the rest is a bonus. I'll strongly consider updating my tranny mount though.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Good thread right here.. Should help out a lot of folks, myslef included. Transmissions & I don't get along. Lol

1 - 20 of 111 Posts