Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed car shaking around the first couple of gears in my 08 altima 2.5. Took it to dealer said replaced transmission as it was bad and under warranty. Day after car wouldnt start, towed to dealer said they ran diagnostics and found some misfire codes engines not covered anymore so charged me towing fee and "maybe" car needs spark plugs replaced. Replaces spark plugs and fixed problem for about a week but sure enough car started jerking again. I am very concerned as it actually had to try twice to get it to start today and it shakes violently when i accelerate almost like a hiccup type of shake not vibration.... im thinking it could be a fuel problem but im not sure what to do. if the dealer cant even diagnose the issue WTF do i do... any help or suggestions would be extremely appreciated!

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
The dealer will be able to diagnose the problem. If they are not doing the work and you're not willing to pay them for a proper diagnostic, then they aren't going to tell you anything. A simple "it may need plugs" is a guess. Take it to a proper garage to have it diagnosed. Is your CEL light on?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thing is i did have the dealership do "diagnostic" tests and they didn't find anything but misfire codes and reset them... and its happened twice already soo thats why i don't know what steps to take next.

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
Thing is i did have the dealership do "diagnostic" tests and they didn't find anything but misfire codes and reset them... and its happened twice already soo thats why i don't know what steps to take next.
Misfire codes are important. It takes a proper diagnosis to determine why you are getting them. Simply scanning the car with a code reader will only tell you what the code is, not what the cause is. It could be a coil, or an injector, or a faulty plug (not likely). If your car is misfiring it will cause it to jerk. The dealer is correct that it is not transmission related.

·
Registered
125 Posts
try these steps. this will reset the ecu and cause the car to perform an idle relearn.

1). Turn your headlights on
2). Disconnect any aftermaket stereo power supply wire
3). Disconnect BOTH battery cables.
4). Touch and hold the negative and positive terminals together for 30 seconds keep them apart for now and NEVER let them touch the battery stumps or each other.
5). Press the horn and brake pedals down for 10 seconds
6). Turn your headlights off. VERY IMPORTANT STEP.
7). Connect both terminals and start the car.
8). let the car idle for 20 minutes
9). Take the car for a nice drive for 10 minutes.

what happens when you have your headlights on and them touch the terminals together is that you " zero " out the ecu and idling parameters of the ecu. the positive and negative meeting each other acts as a decharge and pressing the brakes and horn makes sure all the current is removed from the electrical systems in the car. Driving the car after these steps makes the ecu learn the driving habits and adjust the combustion and idling parameters. hopefully this works for you and that when you brought it in for service that the dealer didnt short something up causing the ecu to get out of wack. these steps will also clear any check engine light codes. they should also be perform after adding any engine or exhaust mods. when you add those kind of mods they affect air to fuel combustion and sometimes the ecu doesnt always relearn on its on as it should.

please keep me posted on this

Cory

·
Registered
442 Posts
What kind of transmission do you have? I noticed you said "gears". I am assuming you have a manual because the CVT has none.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts