Nissan Altima Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on some volvo cars they have this feature called 'walk me home' lights, which pretty much means that when you turn the car off, the fog lights stay on for some amount of time. I want to do this to my 05 altima. Id like to try to make it so that when i press the unlock button on the remote the lights turn on, and the lock button would turn them off. A way to do that would be to link it to the dome light, the section labeled door. Im running this though my head and im thinking that 1. when i turn on the fog lights with the headlights, this will turn on the dome light. 2. there definitely isn't enough wattage going from the dome light to power the fog lights. Well i feel like i got my general idea out there so im just hoping someone smarter than me with this kind of thing could offer some ideas or advice.
another question i have is that when i installed the fog lights (all stock parts) i noticed theres an extra plug connected to the left fog light wiring. anyone know what this plug does? it interests me.

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to anyone interested in doing this, this is the answer i got.

You are going to need
30amp relay...5 pin with 87A and 87 terms
fuseholder (16g)
14g wire
18g wire (2 colors)
fuseholder (12g)
Assorted terminals and wiring tools

I would NOT recommend the dome light because of its dimming function. Observe the behavior of the key ring light...It also goes on with the remote, but does not dim.

You will want to tap the following wires for the key ring...use 18g wire...
Pink/blk is +
Red/yellow is -
Make sure to use a 1 or 2 amp fuse on the + wire (16g holder)....

Both of these will have to be run out to the engine compartment on the passenger side. Easiest way will probably be to snake the wires through by the harness that goes to the ECM on the passenger side. They need to end up at the fuse box just behind the passenger headlight(that is where the realy and fuse for the fog lights is).

According to my 04 manual, the foglight + on the car is white/red wire...easy way to check will be the harnesses at the lights. It also shows 2 wires of the same color being run (1 for each side). You should be able to locate these where they exit behind the fuse panel, by the windshield washer tube. Splice the 2 of them together with a larger wire coming off to carry the current for both...(OE wires are 16g, 14g will be enough)

You will also need to bring a wire over from the battery...14g with a 15-20 amp fuse at the battery.

Relay wiring...

85) negative from key ring
86) positive from key ring
87) power from battery
87a) power from foglight circuit
30) out to foglights

Done

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, i havent done it yet. seems pretty involved but im up for the challenge.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hmm...well kinda glad I have auto setting on my lights. They stay on 5 minutes after I turn the car off.

But then I have a garage so it doesn't really matter..lol

·
Premium Member
11,752 Posts
hmm...well kinda glad I have auto setting on my lights. They stay on 5 minutes after I turn the car off.

But then I have a garage so it doesn't really matter..lol
Yup!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts